Liveaboard advice - Raja Ampat vs PNG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jedah

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Planning a trip to PNG or Raja Ampat in October 2008!

We are looking at the following liveaboards, and would appreciate your input:

1. Adventure Komodo (Raja Ampat)

or, in PNG:

2. Golden Dawn

3. Telita

4. Star Dancer

Would appreciate your input on:

(1) Raja Ampat vs PNG diving in October

(2) Liveaboard choice in PNG

My understanding is that Larry (AK) and Craig (GD) are extremely seasoned captains/divers in Raja Ampat and PNG, respectively. But we'd like to hear about your experiences and honest opinions about these boats and how you'd say they compare.

One of the drawbacks (for us) of the adventure komodo is the shared bathrooms, but we can easily deal with that if the level of service on the boat / quality of the diving in Raja merits it....

THANKS!

J.

PS: Will be posting this on the Australia-Pacific and Indonesia forums as well.

have you considered the pindito in raja ampat? i"m leaving next week for a 12 day trip aboard the pindito(full charter). the boat was refurbished and updated in july(they have an excellent website). they've dove the waters of papua province(formerly irian jaya) longer than anyone ,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Thanks reefman, will look at the pindito as well.

Let me know how your trip goes!

J.

Was on the Golden Dawn couple years back to the Eastern Fields. Best dive location on earth as far as I'm concerned. Remote ocean pinnacles in pristine condition covered in immaculate hard and soft corals of all hues in clear water with hordes of fish from billions of anthias, barracuda schools, friendly queensland groupers, and huge silvertip sharks. The whole reef ecosystem is present. Not the best diving for muck or critters, rather for vis, big animals, tons of fish and beautiful coral. Good luck deciding. The Eastern Fields perhaps gets less diving pressure than any other comparable area in PNG or Indonesia and hence is pristine. Have dove all over PNG and recommend this area/operation above all others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom