Liveaboard and Resort Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roscoe B

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking into the Maldives for our (girlfriend and I) next scuba dive trip. Travel time would be November-December of this year or April-May or November-December of 2019 depending on available mileage award flights. I’ve looked into a few resort options but not finding a lot of information regarding resort dive operations. I’ve also looked into several liveaboard options and it looks like desirable spots on quality liveaboards are booked well in advance when mileage awards flights are not yet unavailable. Anyway, any resort and/or liveaboard suggestions would be appreciated. I’m even considering splitting the trip up into 3 parts; liveaboard, resort and local island.

Some Notes:
Stay Length: 14 -24 days
Transfer Types: no preference
Resort Preference: 4-8 days stay, $500-$900 per day budget for two people, any type of accommodation would do, not a big fan of buffet or AI dinning, must have boat dive options with access to great dive sites and the possibility to see some large pelagics, unlimited diving option (a plus to save $), offshore fishing available (a plus)
Liveaboard Preference: 7-12 days, dive as much as possible with the possibility to see some large pelagics, $250-$500 pp per day, upgraded/better sleeping quarter options (a plus)
Local Island: Dive as much as possible with the possibility to see some large pelagics
Both AOW cert with several hundred logged dives.
Total Budget: 10-15k USD

Thanks in advance,
Russell

Don't have a specific resort to reccomend based on your preferences, but for an area with good dive sites inme, look into the northern part of the Ari atoll. There are a few Maldivian signature dives there and a few manta points. Whale sharks are in the south end of Ari in the winter, and most but the resorts at the very north arrange a long (very early) day trip once a week in season. Those trips seem to have a pretty high hit rate (hearsay), have never been, but a little too busy and zoo-like for my taste with lots of snorkeling tourists.
Not sure how far your budget will get you, but there are a handful resorts -- from moderately priced to luxury -- in that area. Also a local island where you can stay, name escapes me, as well as one to the south. It's very unusual that a resort does not have a dive center and they will arrange boat dives to the nearby dive sites. Normally two boat dives/day. For unlimited diving you will need a resort that has a house reef. Not all have one and many house reefs are not very good. I've stayed in Ellaidhoo Island in that specific area and they offer unlimited 24 hrs diving on their house reef, which goes all around the island and offers pretty descent diving. Very fishy.
I also do not like buffets, but have been pleasantly surprised in the Maldives. Even in 4* resorts it has been a very high standard with separate salad chefs, pasta chefs ... huge desert table (whole room one time). Remember that many resorts are in very small islands and there is nothing else. You live, eat, sleep, dive in the same little resort. No restaurants to pick and choose.
Good luck

Last edited:
We have had two fantastic stays in Boutique Beach Dive Hotel in the South Ari Atol. This is a local island , so no booze , but it’s right in the middle of the best whaleshark spotting area in the Maldives. The rooms are beautiful and the food absolutely the best we have ever had anywhere. The owner is a wonderful English lady , who is warm and welcoming and absolutely brilliant company.

We have also had two great experiences with Emperor boats , both 7 days trips. They are an English company who always have at least one local guide on board, as well as European guides. These are brilliant value and the diving has always been fantastic.

Best fishes x

Back
Top Bottom