Liveaboard for GBR for late May...HELP!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goducks96

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
After doing loads of research, and perusing other posts, I'm at a loss for a planned liveaboard trip in a couple weeks...it's time to call out the troops! Looking for some direction! Either the boats don't leave on a Tuesday (which is when we were looking to embark), are uber-expensive, or are too long (and uber-expensive). Any suggestions for maximizing dive time and seeing some cool stuff? We're looking for a 3d/2n, departing Tuesday May 24th, returning (ideally) Thursday May 26th in enough time to make a 7pm flight (not booked yet) that's not massively expensive as this is only part of a 3 week vacation (albeit important part!). Flying into/out of Cairns, but can go from Port Douglas or where ever if it helps the itinerary.
Would love some help here folks! :wink:

I recently went on a 3 day/2 night with Pro-Dive Cairns but was not impressed with them. I also did a one day with Aristocat from Port Douglas and was much more impressed with them and their sites. I would recommend looking into Aristocat and seeing if they do longer trips.

Have a great trip!
pjones

See post 5 for a more accurate review of my experiences....

Prior Review

Hope that helps

Pro Dive dont leave on Tuesdays so that doesnt work for you anyway. Plenty of other options. Best 2 for you rbudget would be Ocean Quest Cairns Live Aboard Dive Trips With Ocean Quest To The Outer Barrier Reef or kangaroo Explorer Cairns Over Night Live Aboard Dive Trips With Kangaroo Explorer To The Great Barrier Reef

Both leave every day (have daily transfer vessels go out to them) and both have availability for the 24th May. Just remember to leave 24 hours before you fly. You said you want to fly out at 7pm on the 26th. NOT a good idea. Either do a 2 day 1 night trip or try to change flight. It must be an "extended period exceeding 18 hours" as a minimum recommendation before you fly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

Thanks for the info! Especially the flight situation...I had totally forgotten!
Looking into the Aristocat, OceanQuest, and Kangaroo. I hope I can find something out of Port Douglas...been there, done that in Cairns and PD looks gorgeous!

Port is beautiful Not quite so much to do as in Cairns but great place to sit on beach and do nothing!
No had much dealings with Aristocrat, but have heard good things. Usually use Poseidon as it has great service and run by locals. Has dedicated dive tender for divers too so not mixed in with snorkel sites Port Douglas Day Trip Diving With Poseidon To The Great Barrier Reef Haba is also worth a look. Both bit cheaper than Aristocrat and same sites.

But this is a day trip boat and thought you were after live aboard?

Back
Top Bottom