liveaboard in Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RyanC

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Mozambique
Hi All
Ive been thinking about setting up a liveaboard operating off the coast of Mozambique. The rough plan is a boat to accommodate 12 divers comfortably, with the ability to go up to the north in the Pemba area, or out to sea to Bassas Da India. Pemba has dozens of islands, with all kinds of reefs, incredible deep water drop offs, and wonderful corals. Bassas is a small atoll halfway between Mozambique and Madagascar, there are 2000m wall dives! The diving there is amazing, the reefs are pristine, because its so isolated, I think its some of the best diving in the world, everything is there, from mantas and whale sharks to sea horses!

The trip could fit in very well with a week or two at some of the best game parks in Africa.
The boat would probably be similar to Mike Balls Paradise Sport catamaran,although a bit smaller at 110 foot. Nitrox, photo processing etc would all be available.

The down side
Parts of Mozambique's coast are quite difficult dives, most are drift dives. All dives are lead by a DM. There has to be very strict control because help is so far away, it would take at least a day for an emergency medivac!
The seas can get quite rough, Vis drops to a couple of meters, Cyclones sometimes hit(although we would probably close the operation during the season, its no fun being there!) Fuel and spares are very expensive, which would make the trip cost more, (diesel is over US$1 a litre!)

The trips would probably be 7 days on average, costing around $2500 all inclusive.

So now you know the worst, what are your thoughts on setting this up? would you spend the money, and take the time to do it? or am I loosing my mind?

Ryan

If the diving is good, the divers will come. Another important factor for many of us: how hard is it to get there and how much does it cost to get there?
$2500 for week of high quality virgin territory liveaboard diving is a good deal but not the entire picture that has to be considered.

From the most places you would fly to Johannesburg, then the best option, and one of the most affordable is to charter a light plane. www.flyafrica.com commercial air travel in Mozambique is basic, but improving.

I think it would be the boats responsibility to collect passengers from a central location, like Joburg. I would hate to get lost in New York, Im sure you would hate to be lost in Mozam!

I still have lots of work to do, but I think the potential is there!

I think your prices are a bit high - especially if you are aiming at European and south african clientele - we are not used to this kind of prices for the better liveaboards on the east coasts of Africa (Sudan, Djibouti, Seychelles) - 150 to maximum 200 usd a day for the better liveaboards is the price we normally pay for the cruises in this area.
Americans won't come that far for seeing Mantas or whalesharks - there are better opportunites in closer areas to the States.

We are only prepared to pay more for the most exquisite areas in the world... which unfortunately Mozambique isn't due to unpredictable visibility...

Anyway good luck

i love love love africa. its such an amazing place, but from the US it costs (usually) atleast 1400 just to get to Joberg. HOWEVER --- airlines are becoming more competative. that could be an advantage.

but hey, are you accepting crew applications? :wink:

We would be very interested in a trip like this. Price seems a little high any chance you will have this up and running by Sept?

first of all, good luck! its people like you that take the diving world to better places!!!
now to your question, i would pay that kind of money if there will be a stable (as much as the ocean can be) level of great diving... i mean "big guys" such as mantas,sharks, etc'
i won't pay the same amount of money that i would pay for the same vacation in palau for less than that...

another thought: in moz there is the humpback migration season, i would pay good money to have a diving/freediving cruise with them, i think its a much better &special operation, that cannot be done elswhere! mantas,whalesharks &whales!!!!!
anyways, if you get that going, i think i deserve a heads up, when you are looking for staff!:blinking:
good luck!:D

Still in Very early planning stage, Im very fussy about boats, I dont like getting rocked to sleep at night! the best boat Ive looked at so far is 1.6 million us, second hand! so Im trying to get some quotes from South African boat builders.

The price will be very high, mostly because the costs of getting supplies to the boat, Veggies etc will have to be flown in, fuel is scary up there.

We may have to go the sailing route, there are a couple of people running sailing trips up there already. I would prefer the extra space and comfort of a 25m diesel, but we'll see what happens.
Will let you know as soon as we need crew!!
Do a search for Bassas Da India, possibly the best diving in the world.
OK Im biased, but I'm happy.

Ryan;
1) You might want to chat with these people: www.classic-sailing-adventures.com/future.htm
2) You might get going cheaply, now that the area has been devastated by a cyclone (especially the Bazaruto Archipeligo).
3) South Africa divers know the area well. I'd think if a liveaboard was a going concern there, someone from Joburg or Durban or Cape Town would already have made the jump. Not to discourage you (I'd love to have access to liveaboard that worked the whole area...Madagascar, Mozambique, Sodwana Bay in S.A., etc.).
4) There's still a liveaboard based in the Seychelles, I think. You might pump them for thoughts.
5) Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom