Liveaboard in April within easy distance from California?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cali_diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking for some liveaboard advice.... I need to find a place to go in April. It will be myself, my husband and my 16 year old son. My 18 year old might go too but he can't commit yet. My husband and I have been to Belize and Komodo on liveaboards and we are going to Socorro in December. I would like to keep the travel time down so Indonesia is out... Right now I am thinking Kona, Belize, or Roatan. We liked the pace and ability to plan our own dives on the Belize aggressor so something like that would be ideal. My son is AOW and is a good diver, and we know that we will have to pay extra since we will need two rooms.
Any other ideas or recommendations for one of the above?

My wife and I loved our time on Explorer Ventures' Turks & Caicos Explorer II in April of last year. Great wall diving, great crew, spacious and clean boat. Not much more we could have asked for. We saw reef sharks, nurse sharks, and stingrays on almost every dive. There was a DM in the water every dive, but it was completely optional whether you wanted to follow him or not. Great food, too.

James

If there's just going to be the three of you - every cabin on the Kona Aggressor (except the quad) has a double bunk down and a single above it. Another thing that might be attractive is there's a non-stop, direct USAirways flight to Kona from LAX, PHX, and I'd guess SFO. With four of you maybe you could get the quad for your family. If you want to share with two teens...lol.

I second the Turks/Caicos Explorer recommendation also. It's good, deep wall diving. French Cay is some of the best diving I've done in the Caribbean, they do 2 days there. It's also usually cheaper than the Aggressor - runs the same route - several times they were at the next mooring over - and the boat itself is bigger - cabins with real beds instead of bunks. Your son(s) could share a downstairs cabin - still ensuite but with bunks/portholes - upstairs the cabins have big windows. It's also $200pp cheaper. Watch their specials page, sometimes they offer $4-500 off pp. on certain trips. Ours (late May) was $500 off.

Aggressor is all portholes due to the design of the boat. Explorer also has a third deck that the T/C Aggressor doesn't. It's a covered flybridge so there's tables/padded benches and they stock alcohol up there. One thing I liked about the Explorer is that most of the cabins are on the same level as the dining area/lounge with the dive deck behind it. It's a bigger boat (120') with a lot of private spaces. Food was really good also.

A good idea of what to expect - with thanks to Mike Southard: http://www.awoosh.com/Saudio/Saudio_Turks&Caicos.html

From Phoenix on USAirways we were able to easily get to Provo by around 1PM - 1 connection. We were early so they dropped us off in Grace Bay for lunch/shopping for a couple of hours till the other guests arrived. It's $20pp for the van ride each way. Explorer is also going to hit you for a fuel surcharge and either boat has about $100 in port fees.

The "Roatan" Aggressor - actually it's the Utila Aggressor also has 3 bunks per cabin. They start and end on Utila and mid-week they go over to Roatan for a few days. I personally think the diving off Utila is better than Roatan. In April you're at the tail end of the optimum season to see Whale Sharks also - but it's snorkel only - Honduras rules. It's a new boat also, IIRC they started using it last year.

You might want to factor in flight times and pricing to Utila also, it's not that easy to get to from our side of the country in one day. You have to be in San Pedro Sula - mainland Honduras - for a 3PM flight or on Roatan for a 3:30 charter flight to make the sailing. The flight to Utila also costs between $200-240 depending on origin.

Yes the ease of getting to Kona makes it very enticing. We take off at 9am and land there at 11am the same day!!! I know we would love the manta dive and I have been seeing reviews talking about the aggressor doing black water night dives now if you request it. I will check out T&C too...

No Red Sea is not an option for this trip. I checked out the Explorer Ventures T&C but is doing the whale snorkel trip during that time so my only option would be the aggressor at that time of the year. So i will have to do that trip another time of year.

Forgot about the Silver Banks trips. I think Aggressor does that also then.

What about Aquacat?

You might consider the Cayman's as well. Bloody Bay wall is pretty nice diving.

I've been on the Kona Aggressor and with the exception of the Manta Night Dive I find the diving pretty bland in Hawa'ii. The boat usually has Chef issues for some reason. I would look at the Cayman Aggressor, Carib Dancer or Aquacat. From the places you say you have been you would be bored in Kona.

Back
Top Bottom