Liveaboard in Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dewalt625

New
Reaction score
We are looking for feed back on liva aboards out of Cains to the Great Barrier Reef. We are thinkning 4-6 nights. Any info would be great.

GBR is too exy for the locals so ive not dived it but i hear good things aboot Taka Scuba diving and Liveaboard dive trips to Great Barrier Reef

and if you have extra time, its not the GBR but via brisbane and dives Morton Bay and is quite affordable is Big Cat Reality / Dive Tours of Moreton Bay

hopefully Carl will be aboot to be more helpful

cheers

Just curious, what does exy mean? I'm assuming GBR is great barrier reef?

Expensive, I'd guess :wink:

I'd suggest that you find a trip that goes as far out as possible - the diving, from the one liveaboard I've done there, was considerably better and with far fewer people/boats around. The Coral Sea is what it's listed as on the itineraries usually.

Undersea Explorer out of Port Douglas...awesome diving!

We have had good luck with Mike Ball. Nice boat, excellent crew and they let you dive at your own pace. We have trip reports, slide shows and galleries at our website.

I second Mike Ball. I just dived with them a few weeks ago and it was wonderful. They're out of Cairns.

Hi dewalt625,

I got back from Tusa dive's "Spirit of Freedom" (link) this week. I took the 4 day Coral Sea trip which mainly was diving on Osprey Reef. The boat itself was very well equipped and staffed with a great crew. The chef meals were great restaurant-class meals topped off with a glass of wine every night. The crew do everything, you just eat, dive, eat, dive, eat, dive, eat, dive, sleep and repeat.

Fellow passengers were Aussies (including myself), North Amercians, French, Germans, Scottish, and Japanese.

I mainly did my own liveaboard research on Scubaboard. From what I've gathered both Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom are termed "luxury liveaboards".

Taka Dive do trips to the Cod Hole & Coral Sea. They are a little bit cheaper than other companies because you go up and back again by boat (no flight). I live in Cairns and have dived with them as well as other companies, and found them to be very good. The boat is fairly new, the dive deck is really well set up and I would say that the diving is amongst the best in the world (I have dived the Red Sea as well as Pacific Ocean). We did a shark feed at Osprey Reef - fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom