Liveaboard Maldives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KNDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
We are considering to sign up for a week of diving in the Maldives. Are there any recommendations of good liveaboard? We dive sidemount and want a sidemount friendly crew and boat.

Are biggest wish is too see whalesharks, so if you know a liveaboard which are good to find them? :)

Appreciate any input.

Thanks

I went with Emperor in Maldives last year, and no complaint. They only had a couple of dive guides underwater, if that's something that matters to you/your friends.

As for whalesharks, we went on a searching mission for a morning with no luck, then we found out later that afternoon that another LOB (possibly from the same company) got lucky with a few of the gentle giants. So it's hard to say who's good IMO.

Also, I'm a vanilla diver and I wouldn't know how sidemount friendly the boat would be

I can second emperor divers as well... did a liveaboard trip on the emperor voyager and had a great time. Good boat and friendly crew. We got lucky with whale shark and were able to snorkel with one... although there were almost 20 day boats in the same area so almost 60-80 people in the water trying to chase the same whale shark. You may want to contact them about side mount... dont think they would have a problem with your configuration.

The whale shark (ws) hot spot is the southern tip of South Ari Atoll and that will give the best chance of seeing one. However, as this is common knowledge pretty much every day it is full of boats looking for and encounter which tend to be by snorkel as ws swim at a pace beyond that which is comfortable on scuba. You will be joined by up to 100 other people, speed boats and even a jetski if you are really unlucky.
You can scuba in this area but it is not the best reef around so unless you get really lucky and see a ws on your dive it can be a little underwhelming. I would put your chances of seeing a ws on a dive at around 10% and by snorkel 60%.
You can get ws all over The Maldives but it is a huge area and you need a lot of luck. The Maldives has so much more to offer than the ws circus in South Ari and choosing a boat with a fixed route covering this area will usually put you on the same sites as everyone else and you may compromise the rest of your trip.
There are boats that cater for side mount divers but you will usually be diving from a hard boat with a decent ladder in fast moving currents around reefs which break the surface so speed of entry and exit is important. Without wishing to start a sidemount debate I would say that a single tank on your back is more suited to this location.

This past summer I went on the Carpe Novo. It was a new boat but they have three boats from what I understand, Carpe Diem being one of them. the crew was awesome, food and accommodations were very good and I'm not easy to please. I think it was $2,000 for the week in July which I thought was more than reasonable for one of the two single cabins. It was my first LOB and now I'm worried that I was spoiled and will have trouble finding high quality in other destinations.

This operator should definitely make your short list: http://www.carpediemmaldives.com

I've just came back from Azalea Cruise and posted my review in this forum here.

Amazing boat, professional dive guides, good crew.

Carle Vita is the boat I've enjoyed a few times. I suspect I'd like Carpe Novo as much or more.

The Honors Legacy sets the standard in liveaboard luxury. Whether taking day-time trip to a deserted island or feasting your eyes on the large pelagics, this will be an unbeatable dive adventure. Soak on the hot tub between dives or be enchanted by an island BBQ. Enter the exciting world of Maldives channel and atoll diving where you will encounter mantas, whale, sharks and unique marine-life action for the ultimate dive vacation.

www.honorslegacy.com

Hi all,
We are considering to sign up for a week of diving in the Maldives. Are there any recommendations of good liveaboard? We dive sidemount and want a sidemount friendly crew and boat.

Are biggest wish is too see whalesharks, so if you know a liveaboard which are good to find them? :)

Appreciate any input.

Thanks
Yes, i strongly recommend M/Y Honors Legacy
please visit www.honorslegacy.com

Back
Top Bottom