Liveaboard Overload - How to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrlevin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,
I need some help...
I have 10 days of vacation coming the end of April beginning of May and want to book a liveaboard trip. My dates are somewhat flexible. I am living in Hong Kong so I want to stay on this side of the world.

I have no idea where to start. How do I find the right location for my skill level (beginner with 20 dives) taking into account the time of year. Also, while budget is a factor I am looking for a liveaboard that has fantastic amenities for the right price.

Any tips and suggestions are most welcomed?
Best,
Jon

Hey all,
I need some help...
I have 10 days of vacation coming the end of April beginning of May and want to book a liveaboard trip. My dates are somewhat flexible. I am living in Hong Kong so I want to stay on this side of the world.

I have no idea where to start. How do I find the right location for my skill level (beginner with 20 dives) taking into account the time of year. Also, while budget is a factor I am looking for a liveaboard that has fantastic amenities for the right price.

Any tips and suggestions are most welcomed?
Best,
Jon

wow............ if you are looking at the end of THIS month, you are going to have to pick a destination by availability! Most liveaboards fill up months in advance. If you want to do a liveaboard this month, you better get on the phone and start making calls ASAP.

The only "Beginners" level diving liveaboard area that I am aware of on that side of the pond is Indonesia... check out:
Aggressor Fleet | The ultimate in live-aboards since 1984 N. Sulawesi Aggressor
There are other liveboards in that area but I haven't heard much about them. All the Aggressor boats are top notch.

there is also the Kona Aggressor in Kona, Hawaii that is good for beginners (is that too far?). Fiji has 2 Aggressor boats but the diving is more advanced but might be okay for you if you are comfortable with drift diving. You just need to let the DMs know you are new.

Palau is a bit more advanced but you can also check into the Eco Explorer. Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving They have boats in Philippines also but I don't know anything about them.

good luck and let us know what you find!

Many HK LDS also are Dive tour operators and can book last minute trips. Try ProDive in Wan Chai (Lockhart Road) as they have a large expat following and usually book boats that meet expat expectations (English speaking DMs). While there are many good LDS in HK, most cater to locals and as such, the trips tend to be based in Cantonese/or have a Cantonese-only speaking DM.

April is the time for Tubbahata in the Phils. & for Pelegaics in the Similans.

Good luck

Jon,

"AlaskaDiver" provided the attached spreadsheet in a reply he provided on January 14, 2008 in the liveaboard forum. The spreadsheet lists multiple liveaboards around the world. Maybe this info might help you decide.

Please see both tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet. The second tab is entitled "updated liveaboards".

Happy diving.

redseal1tx

Attachments

• Liveaboardcheatsheet(1) 080111.xls
    46.5 KB · Views: 149
Jon,

"AlaskaDiver" provided the attached spreadsheet in a reply he provided on January 14, 2008 in the liveaboard forum. The spreadsheet lists multiple liveaboards around the world. Maybe this info might help you decide.

Please see both tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet. The second tab is entitled "updated liveaboards".

Happy diving.

redseal1tx

although that spreadsheet has alot of information, it is not complete or completely accurate. Lots of boats are not on the list at all (I don't see any for Palau, Fiji, GBR, PNG, Indonesia, Philippines, Maldives..) also it says the Nekton Pilot is in Ft. Lauderdale and Rorqual is in DR (these are at those destinations for a part of the year, but they are at other destinations like PR/St. Croix, Belize, and Caymans part of year also). There are also several liveaboards like Juliet (doing Bahamas, VI, and T&C), Explorer in Saba/St. Kitts, and few others that I don't see mentioned.

I would look into getting a dive computer if you don't have one. A computer will make your dive planning much easier.

although that spreadsheet has alot of information, it is not complete or completely accurate. Lots of boats are not on the list at all (I don't see any for Palau, Fiji, GBR, PNG, Indonesia, Philippines, Maldives..) also it says the Nekton Pilot is in Ft. Lauderdale and Rorqual is in DR (these are at those destinations for a part of the year, but they are at other destinations like PR/St. Croix, Belize, and Caymans part of year also). There are also several liveaboards like Juliet (doing Bahamas, VI, and T&C), Explorer in Saba/St. Kitts, and few others that I don't see mentioned.

The spreadsheet referenced was abbreviated long ago to only include certain operators. I posted this as a reference tool for that particular thread. Not this one. Someone else posted it here. The major dive operators literally change their boat schedules at least twice a year and can have their vessels in different locations during the course of the year to test the marketability of a new area. Some are successful, some are not.

If you are ever interested in going to Indonesia in the near future, I would highly recommend Aqua Marine Diving at Bali Diving, SCUBA Dive Bali Indonesia with AquaMarine Diving Bali Although the package deals are moderately priced, you may want to save some money by not going to the most expensive hotels as they have posted. They really listened to what I wanted in a dive trip (and you can combine the diving with a land tour too).

BTW: if in the future someone references another person's spreadsheet, please PM the originator with your questions. I'd have been glad to give you the skinny on PNG, Palau and many more locations that are close to you.

Hope you had fun on your trip.

I'm pretty sure you were talking about 2008, but just in case you were referring to 2009, there is a group of us going on the Peter Hughes PNG liveaboard April 27-May7, 2009...Walindi to Walindi itinerary. I do have one spot open for a single male and might be able to round up additional spots if they are still available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom