Liveaboard Phuket - Comments Needed on Viking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dicgo

Reaction score
Anyone have any comment/good/bad exp with the Phuket liveaboard 'Viking of the Orients?
Also any comments on diving the similan?

seeing as that it has only been going about 3 weeks you'll be lucky!! I did see it and a very nice looking boat and there is one boarder that was on it over Christmas so I will give him a nudge - come on Thomas, what was it like?!

Similians - the dogs....

Jonathan

As a matter of interest which boat did you use for your trip to the Similans?

regards

MV Colona VI - can highly recommend. Not as stylish as Ocean Rover and Viking but then it is cheaper.

Each room has air con and shower (sort of!). They also have nitrox available as long as Raul is on the boat. 32 as standard but he offered to mix on request - $5 a tank (for the 32 anyway).

The two dive guides are great - Raul (German believe it or not) and Mark (a Brit) they know their stuff and where to look.

The local crew are very good too - once you get over the shock of the huge boat mowing you down. It does not look like it but he does turn in time and the captain has eagle eyes. Sam is also a deadly shot with the football on the end of the rope to haul you back in.

I have PM'd Thomas so hopefully he will update us all on Viking soon......

Jonathan

I have had the chance to visit the Viking and check it out, though not go on a tour. It is a huge boat, which means it has plenty of space to relax, both indoors and out. Crew and staff were very friendly. The captain E-At is a great guy who I knew from another boat. Boat is very clean (scandinavian standard). Cabins are all twin bunk with private bathroom . All have aircon and a door to the outside, so you can get fresh air instead of the aircon.

I would also be interested in hearing from someone who has been on a trip. It must be good for them to charge such a high price - the Colona is about 500 bucks less for example.

Happy New Year to all divers

Diving in Phuket Thailand

I went out with the Viking on two trips, and having done several liveaboards including aggressors, I must say it is an excellent boat and staff. In fact I go out with them again on a 10 day trip to Similan/Burma in April. Yes, it is not cheap compared to other Phuket-based liveaboard. And yes, it is spacious, with very nice working facilities. It is not yet finished though. Many more amenities, as well as nitrox, will be installed. 20 years ago when I was a backpacker I would have picked another boat. Today, taking pictures and preferring to have my own shower, I would certainly go with them again. So, I can only recommend the Viking. They do PADI courses for free which is another BIG plus for you who would like to learn more. The staff is very safety concerned, and the boat is equipped accordingly.

Thomas

ahh - you found it Thomas, saves me a post tomorrow!

Thanks for the beer tonight, my shout next time, maybe after some diving - who knows!

Cheers
Jonathan

Thanks for the info. I have confirmed booking on Viking. Wish me luck seeing the whale shark.

good luck!

when you going? It will be easier to see them in the season but you still need luck!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom