Liveaboard Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Europeans just don't understand the concept of tipping as I notice when they come visit me
Oh, well different countries ... different customs

Yesterday, a boat came in the yard. He had bent a wheel and was afraid he had cracked his shaft. I happen to have a NDT tester, so I magnafluxed his shaft in the boat for him. No crack. Although it was not my job, I happened to have time (while waiting on the welder) and the tool for the job. He was effusive in his thanks, and I got a bunch of lobster tails for it.

Wait . . . Wookie takes tail for tips?

I had to have got that wrong. :bonk:

Most liveaboards I've been on have been very clear about the tipping customs. Not in an "asking for tips" way, but in a very informative way that I believe is welcomed by folks who don't know what the customary tip is. And I find that most passengers from non-tipping countries/cultures are very good about asking fellow passengers for guidance as well. The good thing is that divers - like most people in the world - want to "do the right thing" for the most part.

You mean, do the "right" thing by the standard of what is "right" in North America. It just seems odd for, say, a person from Holland to tip someone in, say, Indonesia based on what the custom is in the USA. I would much prefer that if a liveaboard wants to adopt the practice of receiving extra money beyond what a customer paid for the trip, they simply add it to the bill. My in-laws who live in a non-tipping country are absolutely freaked out about the tipping custom when they visit us here in the US. Yes, they ask us for guidance in an attempt to properly do what they have been told is expected of them, but I suspect the stress detracts from the enjoyment of whatever it is they're doing.

I've lived in the US all my life, but when I'm on vacation--especially out on a liveaboard or in some relatively remote part of the world where I am not within easy reach of an ATM and am wary of credit card fraud--I would much prefer to know how much the "tip" is at the time I book the trip and pay it by credit card BEFORE I leave home, so I don't have to worry about it or carry a big stack of rupiah or whatever in my money belt.

Any recommendations for leaving a reasonable tip on a liveaboad? The liveaboard costs $5,000 a passenger, and they recommend 10%. $500 for a tip seems a bit large. Anyone know whats customary?

It's always a bit amusing when someone asks for recommendation on gratuity and it always ends up with a bash on accepting gratuity as a policy anywhere but the good ole USA.

I like to tip as a vacation proceeds. I want the pool staff or the bar staff to see me coming and know that if they treat me well i will leave a decent tip. I tip my DM every dAy during a multidive vacation week. Leaving it all for the end loses the ability to use the tip to incentivize better treatment while it is being delivered. I see no purpose in leaving less tip after receiving lesser service when, perhaps, had you tipped throughout, the service quality would have improved. I have my first liveaboard this October. Is the a way to tip on an ongoing basis?

I like to tip as a vacation proceeds. I want the pool staff or the bar staff to see me coming and know that if they treat me well i will leave a decent tip. I tip my DM every dAy during a multidive vacation week. Leaving it all for the end loses the ability to use the tip to incentivize better treatment while it is being delivered. I see no purpose in leaving less tip after receiving lesser service when, perhaps, had you tipped throughout, the service quality would have improved. I have my first liveaboard this October. Is the a way to tip on an ongoing basis?

I have heard of an old (probably urban legend) idea that tipping evolved from the early days of the service industry where a patron would walk into an establishment and put his "tip" down before service began. It was an indicator that he would like to, and was willing to pay for, exceptional or speedy service.

In today's world, the service industry is held accountable by tools like the internet and a strong word of mouth system.

Most good operations will begin every charter with this in mind, and work hard for the entire trip because, if they don't, either the crew or the boat won't last long.

With this in mind Fred, I would leave your wallet in your pocket like everyone else and enjoy the service, like everyone else, then pay out like everyone else.

I am not sure flashing $100.00 bills (hopefully :D) will improve your experience or make it any better than the person who handed over the gratuity at the end of the charter.

Not in today's world.

As beauty put it, pay after, I pay after a day of diving for some incentive on the next day. I just read last page kinda knowing where this thread went. It would be nice to know all hidden cost, but that is impossible for if you could you might change your decision of going or doing something.

As beauty put it, pay after, I pay after a day of diving for some incentive on the next day. I just read last page kinda knowing where this thread went. It would be nice to know all hidden cost, but that is impossible for if you could you might change your decision of going or doing something.

I don't think gratuity is really a hidden cost.

I think you either tip or you don't tip.

Or you tip a little or you tip a lot.

It's about a dead horse at this point.

I don't think gratuity is really a hidden cost.

I think you either tip or you don't tip.

Or you tip a little or you tip a lot.

It's about a dead horse at this point.

:giggle: Like that matters on ScubaBoard?

FWIW, I always bring extra I don't intend to tip, just in case the crew or DM does something spectacular like save me from aliens or whatever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom