Liveaboard Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you summed it up very well. I would always prefer an all inclusive rate. And that would still allow me to reward individual service above and beyond what is expected.

I believe your statement characterizes part of the issue. What is service above and beyond the expectation on a $5000 per person 7 day liveaboard? A lot of people have a rather high expectation for $700 a day/night. For others, even moldy bread is fine as long as the dive sites are excellent and the boat doesn't sink.

Last edited:
Some of us pay our crews wayyy better than others. We appeal to a lot of poor college students because we offer great diving quite affordably. We don't actually expect tips, but they sure are nice. :)

And on the other hand....

M/V Spree

http://www.spreeexpeditions.com/PDF/...rtugas2012.pdf
Tips
How do the tips work?
Tips are voluntary and performance based.We recommend a
10% gratuity.

To me this is why it is so much easier just to include at least a baseline gratuity the operator expects in the trip price. If one receives service above expectations they may reward those members of the crew individually.

Boat operators like happy crew.
Happy crew are treated well and paid/tipped well
Unhappy crew = unhappy passengers. Operators try to avoid that by making there tipping policies well known.

Here's a few examples. Not a "survey" but this is direct from these operators websites..... Hope this helps. :thumb:
[EXAMPLES OMITTED FROM QUOTE}​

Not surprising--these are Florida and Caribbean plus the big worldwide outfits Aggressor and Dancer, all of which serve a very American clientele or, in the case of Aggressor and Dancer, at least a well-heeled and well-traveled international clientele that understands American-style tipping is expected by high-end liveaboards. But if one checks out the web sites of the hundreds of regional liveaboards in, say, Southeast Asia and the Red Sea, which serve a clientele from many more countries than the US, I suspect one will find that tipping/gratuities are not quite so emphasized. They typically just list a gratuity in the laundry list of what is "not included," along with Nitrox, alcohol, marine park fees, etc., and don't give any more detail. I don't mean to give the impression that I'm disputing anything that's been said, other than simply to voice my doubt as to just how worldwide and uniform the custom of tipping liveaboards really is. There was some implication or opinion earlier in this thread that tipping is expected everywhere in the world and that a typical tip is upwards of 10%. That's all.

Not surprising--these are Florida and Caribbean plus the big worldwide outfits Aggressor and Dancer, all of which serve a very American clientele or, in the case of Aggressor and Dancer, at least a well-heeled and well-traveled international clientele that understands American-style tipping is expected by high-end liveaboards. But if one checks out the web sites of the hundreds of regional liveaboards in, say, Southeast Asia and the Red Sea, which serve a clientele from many more countries than the US, I suspect one will find that tipping/gratuities are not quite so emphasized. They typically just list a gratuity in the laundry list of what is "not included," along with Nitrox, alcohol, marine park fees, etc., and don't give any more detail. I don't mean to give the impression that I'm disputing anything that's been said, other than simply to voice my doubt as to just how worldwide and uniform the custom of tipping liveaboards really is. There was some implication or opinion earlier in this thread that tipping is expected everywhere in the world and that a typical tip is upwards of 10%. That's all.

At first when I read this.... I was like " hm..... hasn't this been covered? you sure like to debate stuff".

then I clicked on your profile and saw your occupation: LAWYER :D

You're right. most of those on the ones I listed would serve primarily American clients. I'm sure tipping practices ay in the Red Sea or Malaysia might be much different. Let us know what your research finds. :thumb:

Have you ever taken a cruise on Royal Carribean. On the lst night they give you tip envelopes addressed to your steward, the head steward (who?), the waiter, the Maitre D' (whom we never saw). It was gross.

Have you ever taken a cruise on Royal Carribean. On the lst night they give you tip envelopes addressed to your steward, the head steward (who?), the waiter, the Maitre D' (whom we never saw). It was gross.

how was tip envelopes "gross" ?

Royal Caribbean (and other lines also) allow you to fill out a form and charge all your room/steward/waiter/bus-boy tips to you room account also. easier for convenience purposes. no messing with cash. I think they give you a "stub" you put in the envelope that the crew member redeems for cash or "credits" to his account.

You can even "pre pay" tips on cruises with your Travel Agent when you book the trip if you prefer.

In the mid 90s, I was on both a Holland America ship (no tip policy) and Royal Caribbean (highy suggested tipping) ships. There was zero difference in the basic level of service between the two. Yes, Royal Caribbean asks you to tip their head waiter and head cabin stewart even though these are positions that are not normally tipped unless they provide a special service for you. Some feel obligated to do so because they are provided an envelope. If you are one that feels obligated because you got an envelope, PM me your address, I have some envelopes for you.

Last edited:

some people like to hand the tip to their attendents, especially the waiter, since royal Caribbean has the same waiter serve the same group of people. On other cruises like Norwegian where you dine with your own posse wherever and whenever, you will likely not encounter the same waiter, so the tips are automatically added.

Indonesia Scuba Diving - Frequently Asked Questions

At first when I read this.... I was like " hm..... hasn't this been covered? you sure like to debate stuff".

then I clicked on your profile and saw your occupation: LAWYER :D

You're right. most of those on the ones I listed would serve primarily American clients. I'm sure tipping practices ay in the Red Sea or Malaysia might be much different. Let us know what your research finds. :thumb:

As I former liveaboard worker on a very well renowned australian dive boat (have a guess- there's not that many!) It's great to see that you guys really appreciate the workers and feel this should be reflected in tipping the crew. The way our boat worked, all the tips were pooled and split between a crew of 10 (except for any given to us specifically as personal tips), usually resulting in around $100-150 extra added to our measly pay packet. The liveaboard is something you work on for "the love of it" not the money, and I personally put in more than my fare share of 20 hour days. It goes without saying, that the weeks where American passengers were the minority, our tips really did suffer, and although sometimes you guys could be hard work (lol) we really appreciated the little bit extra that tips add.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom