Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Count me in for the latter crowd :D
I am only 70 so count me in with the former. When you realize you only have a limited time left it's best to make the most of it. Off to Blackbeard's in the morning and we have several other geriatrics in the club group.

If 50 is the new 30, then is 30 the new 10 year old?

Nope. And 10 is not the new -10. Gotta log transform. (You should always at least consider log transforming any variable that has a natural zero.) After log transform, 30 is the new 18.

Sorry, just a little "fun" for the numerate geeks among us. And a reminder of why the OP doesn't want to dive with me!

Isn't it ironic? I hear so many young people preaching that we should be more tolerant of those who may be different than we are and yet the OP's biggest concern isn't about the quality of the diving, or the food, or even the boat, it is that they don't have anything in common with and doesn't want to be around people in their 50s.

I seem to be caught here. I will be 59 in a couple months, but I am constantly being reminded that my "inner 5 year old may be a little too close to the surface". On a recent trip on the Aquacat, I was one of only a couple people that was willing to do the rope swing off the 2nd deck (the dive deck).

For @ivorynightfall try talking to us. I bet you would be surprised at how much we have in common and it likely isn't just diving. At the very least, one thing about talking to an old fart like me is that I have done a lot of really dumb stuff over the years and I have a lot of funny stories as a result of my bad decisions. We can be quite entertaining if you take the time to give us a chance.

Nope. And 10 is not the new -10. Gotta log transform. (You should always at least consider log transforming any variable that has a natural zero.) After log transform, 30 is the new 18.

Sorry, just a little "fun" for the numerate geeks among us. And a reminder of why the OP doesn't want to dive with me!
Well, one thing I can say I have in common with the younger crowd is I’m pretty good at being a smart ass too, just more years at it therefore a veteran.

I am an old guy, like being with a mix of young and old people, and surprisingly can generally hold my own in most conversations that don't include subjects such as the Kardashians, the Bachelor, etc. But, I also remember when I was in my 20s, and thought everyone above age 50 was ancient, so I do understand where ivorynightfall is coming from in his wish list for a dive group.

Last edited:
Isn't it ironic? I hear so many young people preaching that we should be more tolerant of those who may be different than we are and yet the OP's biggest concern isn't about the quality of the diving, or the food, or even the boat, it is that they don't have anything in common with and doesn't want to be around people in their 50s.

I seem to be caught here. I will be 59 in a couple months, but I am constantly being reminded that my "inner 5 year old may be a little too close to the surface". On a recent trip on the Aquacat, I was one of only a couple people that was willing to do the rope swing off the 2nd deck (the dive deck).

For @ivorynightfall try talking to us. I bet you would be surprised at how much we have in common and it likely isn't just diving. At the very least, one thing about talking to an old fart like me is that I have done a lot of really dumb stuff over the years and I have a lot of funny stories as a result of my bad decisions. We can be quite entertaining if you take the time to give us a chance.
As an avid LOB diver, the thing that interests me most is avid divers. The joy of a LOB is knowing that conversation will be easy: everyone (well most everyone) is interested in diving.

Some divers are experienced, some are knowledgeable, some are noobs, but most are enthusiastic.

Age, gender, race, religion (for the most part) disappear. The fish don't care.

On our last trip I was the old fart and spent most of my surface intervals chatting with the youngster couple.

I'm in my 70s and I don't blame young people for not wanting to hang out with me. In fact, I don't blame anyone for keeping their distance. Aging is contagious. People I've associated with for any length of time have definitely aged, while young people I don't know seem to remain the same. Getting older is a real pain in the ass and I strongly suggest avoiding it at all costs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom