Liveaboards in Sudan??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn't aware it was possible to dive the sudanese waters from Egypt, if it was I would have done it by now. I have been on Royal Emperor but that was 2004 before it changed hands, I know it has a refit and is currently operating in the sudan. But you have to fly to Port sudan and pick the boat up there.

While I was on RE and again last year on another boat, Ali Baba the dive guide was telling is about a new boat he is involved with called Royal Evolution which is now undergoing sea trials. Ali said he was hoping to run 2 week trips starting in maybe Hurgarda and diving the best sites on the way down before doing the Sudan sites, I understand they would still have to put in to Port Sudan to pay the marine park fees, unless of course as people say Egypt and Sudan can sort something out and do the payment electionically, (don't hold your breath) :D

Red Sea Shadow: I would be very intersted to hear what boats that sail from hamata into Sudanese waters in a legit way (or illegal as well). You know you have to check into Port Sudan, otherwise you're on the wrong side of the law. I know people have ended up in jail in Port Sudan for this - not a very nice experience I can imagine. And you also need to sail from Hurghada or Port Safaga (perhaps Berenice is possible too, but not easy to get to) - they are the only ports in Egypt where you can clear customs, which you need to do when leaving the country of Egypt. So frankly, I am sceptical.

Fiona. It is Yasser who owns the Royal Evelution and he is a good guy. He had this plan for the Royal Emperor as well but it never materialized as the problems with a Egyptian flagged ship in Sudan is too big. Unless he plans to sail it under a foreign flag I doubt it will be possible in the near future. If the egyptian authorities would allow foreign flagged ships to sail Brothers, Deadalus etc. it could be possible to have an itinerary covering the best in both waters. But you still would need to fly either into Port Sudan or out from Port Sudan unless you're prepared to make it a three week trip. Two weeks is not enough for Hurghada-Port Sudan-Hurghada.

/c

Christian,
I think you're right. I double-checked this and found that my info's rusty now! People stopped sailing from Hamata to the Port Sudan long long time ago. However, I think Hurghada is still available but way too far.

Yeah, it is legally possible from Hurghada. But you need a non-egyptian flagged boat and to my knowledge, there are none available at the moment in Egypt. The only chance is to catch a transition trip with one of the italian boats that operate out of Port Sudan during September-May, when it's going to or coming back from the summer season/service in Europe. And even if there where boats sailing under other flags or if you where to ride along on a transition trip, I doubt you would be able to dive the marine parks in Egypt as the Egyptian authorities never would give the needed permissions. And then, as you point out, to make it a round trip you will need minimum 17-18 days (which would still be very stressful for the crew), prefferably three weeks. A two week would be an ideal period for one leg, if permission to access all the best sites could be sorted out.

/c

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom