Living and working in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goflyplanes

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After examining my life at the moment I have finally decided I have 2 options stay where I am in Rome or move to Hawaii if I can find a job as an instructor out there. I'm wondering if any of you pros that are currently there have any info or advice you'd like to pass along. I'm looking for info along the lines of income vs living expenses, the generally quality of employment in Hawaii, any specific islands better than others, or just any general tips or thoughts you have. Anything is welcome. Thanks!

Hawaii is a wonderful place to live. However, the overall cost of living is high (compared most of the rest of the United States), and finding employment can be difficult (especially in the current economy), depending on which island you choose to live on. Not impossible, but not easy.

You may wish to contact some of the larger dive businesses on the island(s) you are considering and ask them about employment opportunities as a scuba insturctor or dive master... but my advice would be to have other employment lined up prior to moving here (other than working as a scuba instructor).

Best wishes.

Oahu is a great place to find scuba instructor work. There are many companies, especially the larger ones that are always looking for good reliable help. You won't be making a ton of money but if you live a pretty quite lifestyle it will be enough to get by. One tip on getting a job here: Most companies won't give you a job until you walk into their shop. Many people talk about moving out here and getting a job. Until you actually decide to move and land here you are most likely not going get much great feedback from the dive shops. That's not to say that you can't still call around but if you don't get an offer don't be discouraged. If you are good with people and reliable you shouldn't have any problem getting a dive job anywhere that you look.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom