Loc-line vs sea and sea arms and tray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This is probably a dumb question as I know that many tray and arm set ups are just a matter of preference. However, I just bought a recsea housing for my G12 and it came with a fisheye aluminum tray and one loc-line arm with a ys mount. My current tray and arm set up is a sea and sea with ball joints and clamps. The sea and sea is quite heavy out of water but fine in the water. I have never used the loc-line in the water. For me to us the loc-line set up I will need to buy the second arm for my other strobe. Any thoughts on which way to go with this? I really don't want to spend the money on another arm and then have two complete tray/arm set ups unless there is a significant advantage to going with the loc-line set up.

Thanks in advance.

I used loc-line for years. Loc-line is definitely lighter, both in and out of the water. On a short strobe arm, the loc-line works pretty well. The longer it gets, the floppier it gets. Biggest reason I now have a pair of double 12" Aquatica arms is that the loc-line doesn't hold it's position well. It's easy to maneuver and I miss not having to loosen clamps to move my strobes, but for wide angle I was constantly finding that one strobe was in front of the port instead of behind it. Now, I can set them where I want them and they stay there. It is especially noticeable in current or surge.

With all else being equal...check out the price difference! We were able to make four arms for under $40.00. I like the Loc-line.

I started with Loc-line. Went to ball joints and clamps when I bought a new camera and tray. Now I want to go back to Loc-line. Easier to adjust and lighter. I think Loc-line is especially good for macro. I suppose the ball joint and clamps is ok for wide-angle.

Locline is less precise as you can't bend the arm to 90 degrees
Also carries less weight outside the water before it snaps and you have to be careful when it is handled
So if you have very light strobes or video lights it works fine inon s2000 for example
If you have heavy strobes and a heavy rig not really an option
I use ball and joint for stills and locline for video because I have sola that are only 250 grams so even 1/2" locline are fine
3/4" locline as those used for strobes tend to be stiff and don't bend as much for my needs

I am very happy with the selection of i-das arms & clamps I bought from Optical Ocean Sales...they work great and cost a lot less than Nauticam, S&S, ULCS etc

Back
Top Bottom