Local Dive Group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

denisegg

Indescribable!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We need some ideas on organizing a local dive group that can meet monthly and dive, dine or cook out, and camp for those who live too far to come and go in one day. We need a site that would be pretty much a sure thing every month, like a spring, etc. We also need dining or cooking and camping facilities. Throw out your suggestions on when, where, etc. and who would like to help organize this. Of course this would include divers in other areas who are willing to make the trip to L A or North Florida, whatever site we come up with.

Vortex has everything needed, but the dive itself has a bit to be desired for - although Morrison is just down the road.

Gulf State Park has camping and pavillions and grills. Diving at the Pier, Whiskey, Jetties(when tides are more forgiving), or some of the other beach dives...

SuPrBuGmAn:
Vortex has everything needed, but the dive itself has a bit to be desired for - although Morrison is just down the road.

Gulf State Park has camping and pavillions and grills. Diving at the Pier, Whiskey, Jetties(when tides are more forgiving), or some of the other beach dives...

Those sound really good. Maybe we could mix it up and do one one month and one the next. We also need to come up with a good time every month.

This would also be good for out of town divers coming to the area to know about it so they can join in when they are in town.

Lets get this started. I have a place to stay in Saraland. That would be close enough to dive all weekend if we were diving Gulf Shores,Orange Beach, maybe even Destin and Pensacola. I do not know how long it would take to get to Morrison though. I think it could be done. I have no camping equipment. I do know how to get a room though. Ha-Ha.
And also if South Alabama divers wanted to camp in my area and dive at Bluewater there are campgrounds just down the road at Oak Mountain State Park in Pelham.
I am looking to get a 7mil wetsuit. After that,I am ready to go. I just can not do it any longer in my 3/2.

I have a full XL 7mm semidry Parkway T1 Titanium sharkskin with builtin hood I'm trying to sell, interested? I am 5' 10" and 220 pds (+/-) and it worked for me just great. I bought a drysuit and don't need it anymore.

Mike

mikerault:
I have a full XL 7mm semidry Parkway T1 Titanium sharkskin with builtin hood I'm trying to sell, interested? I am 5' 10" and 220 pds (+/-) and it worked for me just great. I bought a drysuit and don't need it anymore.

Mike
Thanks Mike. That is exactly what I need but I wear ML, 170 LBS> 5'10". I appreciate it anyway.

snepdiver:
Lets get this started. I have a place to stay in Saraland. That would be close enough to dive all weekend if we were diving Gulf Shores,Orange Beach, maybe even Destin and Pensacola. I do not know how long it would take to get to Morrison though. I think it could be done. I have no camping equipment. I do know how to get a room though. Ha-Ha.
And also if South Alabama divers wanted to camp in my area and dive at Bluewater there are campgrounds just down the road at Oak Mountain State Park in Pelham.
I am looking to get a 7mil wetsuit. After that,I am ready to go. I just can not do it any longer in my 3/2.

Sounds good to me. It might be a good idea to change up the location every month for variety. Mat is the expert on beach diving around here and how accessible they are at any given time and the springs in North Florida are always the same temp. I am not familiar with Bluewater.

I have a 5mm Insta Dry Henderson that is every bit as warm as most 7mm by the way the seams are glued and stiched. It is a Large and will fit a 170 lb. person. I need to sell it and will give someone a GREAT Deal.

I have a Henderson Gold Core and like agulfdiver's suit, the way it's stitched, it barely lets any water, if any, in. Wore it at Morrison Springs and I barely noticed the coldness, until the water shot up my left sleeve. BRRRR - Otherwise, quite warm.

Even though I'm in MS, I'd be more than happy to join a dive club in this area. I will be trying to come down at least once a month anyways, this will just be a good way to meet more people and expand my contact list for diving friends.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom