Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reactions: JFS
Some good news. My wife's father gets his home back after being homeless for 2 1/2 years. His son tried to steal the home from him during the start of the pandemic and because of the corruption almost succeeded. The municipal judge initially awarded the home to the son. It didn't matter if the home was in the fathers name along with all utilities. Didn't matter that the father built the home and has lived in it all his life. Was a good day when the state judge in Chetumal overthrew the corrupt municipal judge decision. The municipal judge made his judgement based on the son replacing a door and a window and who he knows on the island!!

Some good news. My wife's father gets his home back after being homeless for 2 1/2 years. His son tried to steal the home from him during the start of the pandemic and because of the corruption almost succeeded. The municipal judge initially awarded the home to the son. It didn't matter if the home was in the fathers name along with all utilities. Didn't matter that the father built the home and has lived in it all his life. Was a good day when the state judge in Chetumal overthrew the corrupt municipal judge decision. The municipal judge made his judgement based on the son replacing a door and a window and who he knows on the island!!

The municipal judge should be given a new home in a federal prison.

Some good news. My wife's father gets his home back after being homeless for 2 1/2 years. His son tried to steal the home from him during the start of the pandemic and because of the corruption almost succeeded.
You have a brother-in-law who would steal his father's home? That sucks.

You have a brother-in-law who would steal his father's home? That sucks.
Unfortunately yes. He's a real piece of work who rips off anyone he can including his family, but good to see justice done for what he did to his 83 yr old father.

I've counted 11 since January, including this one, and 8 near misses. The 8 misses include those who were shot at, those who were wounded, and those who were wounded and later killed in a second attempt.

You are right, Dan. This is no longer the Cozumel we once knew. It is not just the drug-related murders, it also a pile of other bad changes. Rampant burglaries, crooked cops, inept government officials (well, maybe that one is not so new), new laws and policies hard on small businesses, the loss of trees in the city, the 14,000 tourists a day and their garbage, the huge amount of trash floating to Cozumel from countries to the south, the seaweed, the reefs' decline, the loss of public beaches, the loss of restaurants serving the old style Cozumel cuisine (think Tortas Moros, El Portal, etc.), lack of parking, soooo many bad drivers, the hideous and poorly-designed ferry pier, the proliferation of taxis and their lackadaisical attitude towards courtesy and traffic laws, the gauntlet of touts you have to pass on the malecon, the loss of the feeling of "community" there was before so much immigration from other Mexican states, loss of airline connections due to competition with Cancun airport, and more...

On the good side, there are now hospitals and clinics, decent dentists, large grocery stores, well-stocked hardware stores, FEDEX and other delivery services, much fewer black spiny sea urchins, reliable electricity, fast ferries, car ferries that go to Calica instead of Puerto Morelos... I am sure there are more good changes that came to Cozumel, but I can't think of them right now.

Ric. Agree 100% sad considering what it could have been. For the gringo newcomers its much easier to live here with medical and supermarkets easily available i have lost count of people i know who have been burglarized

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom