Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a lot of MS-13 graffiti in that neighborhood

Dinner and drinks are on me to the first person who can tell me the location of the full size Pablo Escobar mural. Better yet send a photo to claim your free dinner.

Dinner and drinks are on me to the first person who can tell me the location of the full size Pablo Escobar mural. Better yet send a photo to claim your free dinner.
Medellin, Colombia?

No, the one on Coz.
He didn't say it had to be there. Why are people painting murals of such criminal scum?

He didn't say it had to be there. Why are people painting murals of such criminal scum?
This is the Cozumel forum. The mural is real. One man's scum is another's benefactor.

I'm surprised 3M has allowed this thread to even exist.

I'm also surprised that the news posted is mostly tabloid trash rather than the positive news of the Island we all love.

I tried posting some real news a few years back and the posts were deleted because they have nothing to do with diving.

These news events happen everywhere, and even less so in Cozumel than most anywhere else.

The average tourist will have zero interactions with the people in these articles.

This thread is enlightening to anyone who thinks they are in "Paradise" and the Island is "totally safe", however.

Now, back to important topics like tacos.

Have you eaten here:

1665541878071.png

Or have you seen this mural:

1665541946920.png

or this one?

1665542045041.png

Sorry I forgot we were talking about tacos
1665542159404.png

I think part of it is society - good news doesn't sell. I remember many years ago thinking of a "good" news only channel - the news always seemed to focus on bad things - been that way a very long time.

As tourists and residents - we cannot become involved in Mexican politics and the root of this problem is political and cultural. None of us want to see this area become Acapulco - Cancun is much much worse than here and they are far from Acapulco but yet we are trending in that direction. There is a lot of silence here possibly out of fear of retaliation but you do hear whispers of disgust..

Cozumel is as safe as any city for anyone enjoying a normal night out. I will say that there are areas along Melgar where there is a much younger local crowd at night on the weekends - not saying anything but I tend to go with the odds and avoid that crowd..... Centro in Cozumel is a fantastic place, great to stroll around eat and drink.....

Come and enjoy - please ignore the trash that is happening as it has zero effect on you

The problem with "good news" forums is it requires heavy censorship. Anyone that wants a white-washed good news view of Coz can just hang out on C4U page on FB.

People assume good things happen everywhere. It's the bad things that determine if they are safe or not. Bad things happen everywhere but not at the same level or frequency. People see through that false equivalence. But the real story here is the change in frequency because that means everything you used to know is no longer relevant. Maybe it has no effect on tourists now but will it tomorrow?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom