Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We got disappointed several times recently with their hours (never the food)

Believe me, I feel your pain. I think they were closed 4 out of 5 times I tried them at one point (5pm , 4pm, 3:30 pm 3:05 pm ). They got screwed over hard when the city put the bike lane down there and took out half the street parking. Parking situation went from not good to genuinely awful. I think sadly they are more dependent on foot traffic from cruise ships and are matching those hours. Still probably the best fajitas on the island and some pretty solid margaritas.

Believe, I feel your pain. I think they were closed 4 out of 5 times I tried them at one point (5pm , 4pm, 3:30 pm 3:05 pm ). They got screwed over hard when the city put the bike lane down there and took out half the street parking. Parking situation went from not good to genuinely awful. I think sadly they are more dependent on foot traffic from cruise ships and are matching those hours. Still probably the best fajitas on the island and some pretty solid margaritas.

Totally agree... hard to park. I typically stay within walking distance so I have that advantage

Believe, I feel your pain. I think they were closed 4 out of 5 times I tried them at one point (5pm , 4pm, 3:30 pm 3:05 pm ). They got screwed over hard when the city put the bike lane down there and took out half the street parking. Parking situation went from not good to genuinely awful. I think sadly they are more dependent on foot traffic from cruise ships and are matching those hours. Still probably the best fajitas on the island and some pretty solid margaritas.
Yeah, that bike lane did a number on what was the already meager parking at Blue Angel as well. Taxi drivers sometimes won't stop in front of the hotel.

We got disappointed several times recently with their hours (never the food)

To be honest, I. more disappointed in their prices. Waterfront location, I get it. They were always a bit expensive at $10-15 for a couple of fish tacos or burrito or lunch-sized fajitas. A few months ago we went in, as we routinely do after diving while the gear is drying, and everything was $22-25 US. We shared a $10 guac and chips and a couple beers. Haven't been back.

Please don't make excuses about inflation or exchange rate. It hasn't changed that much since last fall. A few doors down Tikila is still about the same as last year. Been here 4-5 times in past month.

To be honest, I. more disappointed in their prices.

Yeah, its costing all over cozumel the same as to eat tex mex right here in mckinney.

Heres what I dont understand (not just ernestos) - what do restaurants put in a large margarita...? Seems you drink this large marg and its all mix?

One of my margs at home are about the same size as the ones at Mezcalitos and will knock your arse out... lol

Last trip there I made my own the whole trip. My wallet was happier too.

I've been all over Cozumel and prices have climbed a lot in the last 3-4 years but that's not what I'm talking about, Ernesto's has way outpaced the average here. Their model seems to be to make all their money off a few cruise suckers.

Makes no sense to me to make weak drinks. Drunk people spend more. If they are still sober after that $15 marg they might make the rational decision to leave. Woody's used to make a margarita that would knock you out but last few years we've wondered if there is even any tequila in it. Also deceptive glasses to make the drinks look huge but it's mostly snow or ice. The variability in mixed drinks is one reason I usually just drink beer.

Ernesto was the landlord at the old location for the Pub on calle 4. One day he doubled the rent and triggered its closure. I think it was so he could brag to his buddies about how much rent he could charge a gringo. Caused it to close and several years later it re-opened in the old Kelly's location.
Its a mind set, most of these folks aren't really businessmen. They aren't that bright and confuse luck earlier in life as business savvy. The old Pub location is still empty to this day after almost 5 years, what a waste.

Also deceptive glasses to make the drinks look huge but it's mostly snow or ice.
Thirsty Cougar and their huge delicious looking frozen margaritas. I had to have one because the girl at the table next to us had one. Fool me once but not twice. If I want colored ice I can find much cheaper ways to do it myself. Food at the Cougar, drinks elsewhere.

There are a bunch of places that do good margaritas. I like El Moro, happy fun (loud) place for a good dinner. Good quality margaritas. A few time in joking banter I have asked the proprietor, oldest brother Ray, if they put any tequila in their margaritas (yes a couple standard ones will kick most folks A$$) I'll look over and see brother dumping tequila in my next margarita.
I have learned to puke through my requlator at depth, the next morning, after my second "I'll show you' Margarita.
A few years back I had a frontal lobe stroke, at 135', and blamed it on Ray's Margaritas I until I went to a doctor a few days later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom