Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a theory on the sargassum issue. Based on things I’ve seen on line prior, during and post Covid, it appeared to me that the sargassum eased considerably when cruise ships were not as active. This led me to believe there may be a correlation. Perhaps their paths may have led to stirring and/or dislodging large amounts of sargassum, setting it on its present course in such large quantities. Thoughts?

Obviously not well versed in the subject. Just a guy who spends too much time on the internet.
I don't think there is much if any connection. The sargassum is not a phenomenon local to the Yucatan or even to the Caribbean. Huge rafts of it are coming up from the waters off South America.

Do you mean this year or in general? I am usually there in April (not this year - long story) and I have seen the sargassum knee deep and 20 feet wide on shore at Chen Rio in April; that trip the ferry was full of tourists coming over from the mainland to get to the sheltered beaches on the west side of Cozumel.
In general. The sargasm usually starts to flow more end of april .

In general. The sargasm usually starts to flow more end of april .
I guess that makes sense. We are usually there around my mom's bday on 4/23, and the last several years the sargasm (that's still funny) has always been there on the east side, though some years have been (much) worse than others. It's a real PITA as well for offshore fishing in the channel; we are constantly reeling in and de-seaweeding our lines.

I have a theory on the sargassum issue. Based on things I’ve seen on line prior, during and post Covid, it appeared to me that the sargassum eased considerably when cruise ships were not as active. This led me to believe there may be a correlation. Perhaps their paths may have led to stirring and/or dislodging large amounts of sargassum, setting it on its present course in such large quantities. Thoughts?

Obviously not well versed in the subject. Just a guy who spends too much time on the internet.
I don’t believe cruise ships have anything to go with it. The height of the cruise ship season is the winter months, the water is cooler. Diving this past winter the water temp ranged from 79-80. Sargassum thrives in the warmer water, last summer we were seeing water temps in the mid 80s. We had lots of Sargassum especially on the “wild” side but depending on the winds, the entire island had an issue at one point or another. PDC and the entire Riviera Maya looked awful the few times we went to the mainland last summer.

Reactions: JFS
I would love to be there! Are you on the island now? Give my regards to Mateo.

...and before anyone calls me out on my earlier tirade against loud Anglo music on Cozumel, yes, this is inconsistent of me. So sue me. :D

I need a miracle every day.
yes and will give him your regards. Weather is very plesant

Back
Top Bottom