Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is likely crime is rising at a higher rate in one’s hometown vs Cozumel currently.

It is likely crime is rising at a higher rate in one’s hometown vs Cozumel currently.

How do you want to measure "rising at a higher rate"? A numeric count of incidents is a good indication of the level of risk in an area. However, the change in the percentage of incidents is a measure of changes in culture & crime and the perception of security...which seems to be the focus here.

Historically, Cozumel had a low crime rate. A slight numeric increase would represent a very large change in the rate. For example, going from 1 to 2 zombie attacks means the rate is rising at 100%.

I live in a city that has a much higher incidence of violence, and the rate is increasing. However, going from 228 homicides in 2020 to 304 last year -- while horrific-- is a 33% increase.

Of course, my example is just as devoid of actual facts about crime in Cozumel as most of the speculation in this thread.

Historically, Cozumel had a low crime rate.
I have to totally disagree there. Burglary and homicides are almost nonexistent in my little farm town, but thefts are rampant and murders are becoming too common on the island. I still enjoy my visits as I feel confident in avoiding those risks, but they are growing.

We get the question "is Cozumel safe?" all the time, but it is impossible to say in absolute terms. Stuff happens everywhere but the degree of risk to the typical vacationer on Cozumel is very low - much lower than in many locations in the US - as long as that person stays away from shady activities and shady characters. Stay away from drugs and prostitution, for example.

The problem with "good news" forums is it requires heavy censorship. Anyone that wants a white-washed good news view of Coz can just hang out on C4U page on FB.

People assume good things happen everywhere. It's the bad things that determine if they are safe or not. Bad things happen everywhere but not at the same level or frequency. People see through that false equivalence. But the real story here is the change in frequency because that means everything you used to know is no longer relevant. Maybe it has no effect on tourists now but will it tomorrow?
It's already having an effect. I used to travel down 4-6 times a year. After seeing how things were being done on our trip last October, I haven't been back.

It's already having an effect. I used to travel down 4-6 times a year. After seeing how things were being done on our trip last October, I haven't been back.
What things?

What things?
Well, let's see. The taxi drivers constantly trying to overcharge us. The dive shop raising prices mid week and then over charging for o2 fills. We had several restaurants try to overcharge us from what was listed on the menu. Honestly? Every time we turned around someone was trying to con us out of money. It was definitely a different vibe than in the past. We go on vacation to relax. Not to be on alert for people trying to take advantage.

Well, let's see. The taxi drivers constantly trying to overcharge us. The dive shop raising prices mid week and then over charging for o2 fills. We had several restaurants try to overcharge us from what was listed on the menu. Honestly? Every time we turned around someone was trying to con us out of money. It was definitely a different vibe than in the past. We go on vacation to relax. Not to be on alert for people trying to take advantage.
I am guessing you have not been there in 20-25 years?

After seeing how things were being done on our trip last October, I haven't been back.
I am guessing you have not been there in 20-25 years?
He said last October.
The taxi drivers constantly trying to overcharge us.
Yeah, I know that irritation.
The dive shop raising prices mid week and then over charging for o2 fills.
But that's unacceptable as was your restaurant experiences. You could post a report with names and facts.
e had several restaurants try to overcharge us from what was listed on the menu.

Back
Top Bottom