Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nobody on this board ever said that the tourists were in grave danger. At least, no posts that I ever read. All I read here and all I post here is just pointing out how far things have gotten out of hand in Cozumel.

I never thought I'd see the day when there were more people assassinated in Cozumel in a year than were killed in moto accidents...

Nobody on this board ever said that the tourists were in grave danger. At least, no posts that I ever read. All I read here and all I post here is just pointing out how far things have gotten out of hand in Cozumel.

I never thought I'd see the day when there were more people assassinated in Cozumel in a year than were killed in moto accidents...
That comes with growth. If there is opportunity everyone will try to capitalize. It is not the sleepy island it was 20 years ago.

3,000,000 cruise ship passengers less the 50% not wandering around the island equals 1,500,000 cruise tourists a year wandering around like cows. Those 1,500,000 plus the others arriving by ferry and plane still don't make 12,000 a day. Besides, I'll bet there are more angels on the head of a pin than that.
12,000 was your number.

The 2020 INEGI (federal) census counted 44,415 men and 44,221 women for a total island population of 88,626. People tend to overestimate the island's population. By the official, federal and state, door-to-door headcounts over the years, it has never been as much as 100,000.

I think comparing Cozumel's per-capita murders with other, much larger cities is worthless. You need to compare Cozumel's murder rate with the murder rates of cities that have a similar population to get a valid comparison.

I also think the idea that "it is only happening to drug dealers" is ignoring the possibility of innocent bystanders eventually being wounded or killed by these wild sprays of bullets. These aren't experienced hitmen putting a gun to the back of the head of a target. These kids tend to empty their firearms completely, with only a few bullets actually hitting the target; the rest go wild.

Time of day and distance from the plaza are not factors in where these assassinations took place. They happen during the day as well as the night, and inside the Centro and outside the Centro. Hemmingway on the Malecon, Chedraui by the police station, Tentaciones Restaurant on 15th, are just a few that come to mind that happened inside the Centro, and two fo those were during the day.
Cozumel's population today is higher than it was in 2020, and whatever the number of tourists are, it isn't zero. But even 15 homicides in 88,626 is a rate of just over 16.9 per 100,000 people, although an overestimate, is very safe compared to cities of all sizes. For example, in Ohio (where I live) Canton (70,000 people) was 22.53 in 2016, Dayton (137,000) was 26.41, Youngstown (60,000) 35.8 in 2018. Columbus is almost ten times the size (892,000) and at 11.09 is safer than Cozumel or any other major city in Ohio. Toledo (13.45) is the only other largish city in Ohio that's safer.

St Louis (293,000) Missouri, with a high rate but not a city people consider especially dangerous, has 64.54 is almost 4 times as deadly. Tijuana is 134.24 with almost 8 times the rate, and Cancun is 45.54, the average for Mexico is 28.4

St Louis (293,000) Missouri, with a high rate but not a city people consider especially dangerous
This Philadelphian considers St. Louis dangerous. Of course, that may be because I don't really know the city well, but STL residents (some formerly from PHL) gave me some strongly worded warnings during my last 2 conferences there.

On the whole, I'd rather be in Cozumel.

My point was, on a whole, most people in the United States would feel safer about planning a trip to St. Louis than Cozumel.

Way to high but it wouldn't make the top 15 cities in the USA

View attachment 759296
The murder rate in Cozumel is higher than I would have guessed and trending in the wrong direction.

It appears to me that most are saying that the murder rate is mostly a local problem, drugs, protection, ... Are the vacation and day visitors to Cozumel not a contributing factor to this trend, directly or indirectly?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom