Locating Virgin Caves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I notice, crawford, that your hometown is Springfield, IL. I can't help but wonder if you're talking about the karst reigons in Illinois? I've went by a few sinkholes when I was just out driving around and have always wondered if there were any diveable caves in Illinois. I'm not a cave diver at the moment, but I grew up down South and spent a good bit of time down in Florida diving in the springs and staring into the caves. Maybe after a few more dives and some good training I'll think about trying my hand in caves. Is there any cave diving in Illinois? It seems like with all of the karst landscape and caves out there that there would have to be something that was diveable.

Anyway.

Later

Shovelbum:
I notice, crawford, that your hometown is Springfield, IL. I can't help but wonder if you're talking about the karst reigons in Illinois? I've went by a few sinkholes when I was just out driving around and have always wondered if there were any diveable caves in Illinois. I'm not a cave diver at the moment, but I grew up down South and spent a good bit of time down in Florida diving in the springs and staring into the caves. Maybe after a few more dives and some good training I'll think about trying my hand in caves. Is there any cave diving in Illinois? It seems like with all of the karst landscape and caves out there that there would have to be something that was diveable.

Anyway.

Later

Nah, in this thread I'm talking about a location in the southeast. I would spill the beans but there are several reasons to be quiet.

I have looked a little around Illinois, I've got a bud who is a local and he is telling me to look around the Mississippi river near his home, and there many caves around the bluffs in that area (Pittsfield), but I think anything I find would be beyond my experience level (sidemount, sump, etc.) so I guess I'm not too jacked up yet about IL. I've only lived in IL for about 4 yrs, so not real familiar with the area. I have noticed like yourself some interesting looking stuff in southern illinois, if you go to Garden of the Gods, there is a green pool right beside the road that looks like a small sinkhole? You never know.

crawford:
Do you know where to find the info from these studies? I imagine this was done by a corporation.
I suppose there are records at the geological survey. I think this was a joint operation between government and private enterprise.
Where is this cave at, I understand if you don't want to divulge.....
More later.....
Norm

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom