Location of Weights on Weight Belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of divers put their weight in the BCD pockets and figure that was enough. I have a dive buddy that did that when we started diving. after we dove a few times he started copying me with spreading the weight between the BCD and a belt. I started putting lead in the BCD because I got a BCD that was designed for it. You can certainly dive with a harness or crotch strap over your weight belt as long as you have some mechanism to ditch lead in an emergency. Personally I would A) rather ditch a $10 belt with a dozen pounds of lead rather than a pair of integrated weight weights that will cost $100 to replace. And B) you should take a look at your kit if you are concerned about accidently dropping your weight belt at depth. I won't say it is impossible, but it should at least be unlikely. I would never buy a nylon buckle for my WB for just this reason. I just assume that it wouldn't hold up. If you are going to dive with the belt set so it won't fall clear, make damn sure your buddy knows the correct drill for ditching your weight. 15 lb of lead dangling from you crotch strap will make your emergency a more of a challenge.

Thanks Rich. I dive a bp/w, with no integrated system. I wear a SS plate and doubles, so just need a few lbs on the belt (in my drysuit) to keep me balanced/neutral.

Agree 100% that I'd rather drop a cheap weight belt and some lead than any kind of integrated system (harness, pockets on waist straps, or otherwise). And since most of my diving is solo, my buddy (me) is very familiar with the procedure :).

Mike

I keep mine on each side but slightly front to stay horizontal. I also adjust the weight belt to be higher than the BCD's velco strap because unfortunately I'm short and always wind up almost vertical if I don't.

Update...I did a couple dives w/ my weights much more in front and was noticeably more stable when rotating to vent my drysuit. Thanks for all the inputs.

Back
Top Bottom