Lock 21 questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CUunderH2O

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

Has anyone been to Lock 21 lately? A few of us want to dive it this weekend and I've never dove it, so I was hoping someone's been there lately and could describe the recent conditions. All I've heard or read about it says the viz is bad and there's a lot of current. I've read there are ropes set up on the shore to make getting in/out easier, are they still there?

Thanks for any answers.

CUunderH2O:
Hi all,

Has anyone been to Lock 21 lately? A few of us want to dive it this weekend and I've never dove it, so I was hoping someone's been there lately and could describe the recent conditions. All I've heard or read about it says the viz is bad and there's a lot of current. I've read there are ropes set up on the shore to make getting in/out easier, are they still there?

Thanks for any answers.

I was at loch28 last week-end current kept changing ??? and visibility was awful 3-4feet ... I couldn't find the Connie until i litteraly hit it while looking back at buddy.

Well, that happens a lot at Lock 28/Connie. We've nearly missed it on several occasions. But is Lock 21 any worse than that, though?

Well I daresay if the Connie is that bad, then Lock 21 isn't going to be terribly pleasant. Typical viz on the Connie is around 5-15' depending, and the current stays pretty steady and mild. Lock 21 generally has more current and less viz than the Connie.

Try to get ahold of Art - artw on this board - as he's like the local Lock 21 guru and it wouldn't surprise me if he's been around there recently.

I was at Lock 21 about 3 weeks ago. The Vis was OK and the current was rippin! We had a blast. The rope is not in from the shore and the jug was just below the surface. There was a couple of guys coming out as we went in so we watched where they came out. If you go in on the corner and follow the edge of the steep bank ( its in about 6 feet of water) against the current you will come to the rope. Follow it down to the edge of the lock. There are lots of things to hold on to. We went down and went through the sluice gates then followed the top of the lock over to the railing beside the actual lock. We drifted down the railing to the end and pulled ourselves back along it, then dropped down into the lock bottom and drifted down it and came back to the railing to pull ourselves back again. The current was amazing ... as you pulled yourself against it your reg was vibrating in your mouth from the force of the water.

All in all a really enjoyable dive (as long as you like current). We plan to spend more time next summer exploring all of the lost villages.

Eric

My experience with Lock 21 (although I have not dove/dived it since May this year) has been that everyone has some troubles on their first couple of dives there unless they go with someone who really knows it well. The current, viz and entry all seem worse than they actually are. Don't try to see all of it on one dive to start out. Try different routes until you find some that work well for you and you may find like some of us that Lock 21 can be as easy and relaxing as the Connie. Also, study the drawings of it well. They are posted on SOS website and also at the lock itself. Remember though that when you look at the drawing, you are standing in the water looking back at shore.

As for current conditions, I did hear that recently since the water level is so low, you can walk out to the buoy through the small bay. Saves a bit of a swim into the current.

Thanks owlbill, I'll keep your points in mind. It would be nice to add this site to my list of do-able shore dives. I'm going with a couple of guys who have dived it before, so I'll be the only newbie there.

No problem, we all have to learn to dive new sites at some time. Also remember to keep an eye on your air consumption. Good diving.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom