log book checks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They asked to see it in Costa Rica (Costa Rica Divers in Brasalito), and Corsica (Club de Plongee Barakouda, Bonifacio). In the US I've been asked to show it after having my regs serviced, because I told them it had been a long time since my last dive. They encouraged me to take a refresher course, which I did. Also, my LDS asked to see it before my first air fill at that shop.

Zeeman:
OK, going out on a limb here.. Isn't the point of having a c-card to be proof that you can dive?

Nope. All that proves is you could dive to the required standard at the time you got the card. It doesn't prove you can still meet those standards.

And if you are really that concerned as a dive shop - why not have a check out dive? Provided it's a fun dive with stuff to see, I'm quite happy to do a "bunny slope" dive.

I think more should before allowing people onto advanced dives or multi day trips.
As for the operations who wont accept computer logs - what is it about paper logbooks that make them so high and mighty, whilst computer logs don't apply?

Anyone that doesn't except computer printed logs which are more accurate than most paper logs quite honestly doesn't deserve to get any business off anyone.

People REALLY need to learn to take responsibility for themselves.

Agreed. Something thats very lacking from lots of divers but something that SHOULD be foremost on every divers mind.

Going back to the original ive come across 2 types of qualification check (well ok 3.. most uk ones never check quals before boarding a boat). One type of place seems to be only interested in the qualification held, the other isnt interested that but is far more interested in the type, frequency and amount of diving in a log book. Ive yet to see a place that wanted both - its either/or from my experience.

draperb@hcsmail.com:
I've also seen on the webpage for Sandels Resort that they require a refresher course before they'll take you out if "they think you need it"
In other words, if they feel like selling a $150 refresher course.

ekewaka:
In other words, if they feel like selling a $150 refresher course.

It sounds that way to me. I just tend to call them Scandals, for all sorts of different reasons. I like to think that if I went there, there wouldn't be a problem because I'm have all my own equiptment, my computer, C-Card and log book. Now, what say experience more than that?

When you can walk up and say " I only need tanks and weights." and "Yep, I dove about two weeks ago. Would you like to see my log book and cert card?"

I've noticed that if the dive op has some sort of requirment for the dives you want to do, if you head them off at the pass and barry them with info they tend to back off. Because if I've traveled 11 hours to get somewhere I don't want to be distracted with someone trying to get me to dive something that I didn't plan my trip for.

If I've got all my info, and I've traveled for wreck dives and the op said they'd take me to some wrecks don't back out and say "Well, I think we're just going to do a bunch of natural reefs because I think you'd like them better".

Cheekymonkey:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco
Some places (like AKR in Roatan) ask divers to jump in a the dock, remove their reg and flood their mask before they take them out. I don't rmember a log book check, however.

Thats BS, give me the waiver and let me sign my life away, that kind of crap would make me use another dive shop, don't babysit me

I have been asked to show my log book all five times I have dived in the Red Sea including the last time even though I showed them my PADI IDC staff instructor card.

If I was aske to do a "check" dive I would:

a) want at least another IDc staff instrcutor but preferable an MI or CD to do it.

b) See the skill quality of the person asking me to do it if not one of the above!

Never had anyone wanted to look at my log book. Once I had my log book, and they refused to let me dive because I didn't have a C card.

CompuDude:
Here's a thought: If you are about to go on a dive vacation and spend thousands of dollars, CALL OR EMAIL the dive ops you'll be working with (or a representative sample if you'll chose on the spot) and ASK them what sort of proof they require.

Then you know whether to pack (or print) ye olde log book.

Common sense strikes again! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

You would think but I've had a trip where I learned more was required than was explained in my call. Since I received no return emails and the english was very limited I assume it was due to language barrier.

Zeeman:
OK, going out on a limb here.. Isn't the point of having a c-card to be proof that you can dive? And if you are really that concerned as a dive shop - why not have a check out dive? Provided it's a fun dive with stuff to see, I'm quite happy to do a "bunny slope" dive.

As for the operations who wont accept computer logs - what is it about paper logbooks that make them so high and mighty, whilst computer logs don't apply? We are in the 21st century people - F1 and Moto GP teams use computer logging - I'm pretty sure the NASA astronauts use computer logging well - if it's good enough for them, I dare say it's good enough for us. Is it really that much harder to falsify a paper log? I'm pretty sure it's much harder to hack into your dive computer and create false information. As for borrowing a friends dive computer - that is no different to just making up numbers and writing them down.

People REALLY need to learn to take responsibility for themselves.

Z...

A C Card only means that you passed training, and that you are qualified to dive in same or better conditions than experienced in class. I think what we mean with digital dive logs, is that we keep them in our home computer. Not so easy to take on the road.

I seriously doubt if many or any on this board will make it to 5000 dives...

There are at least 2 that I know of here.

Oh, never ever asked for a log book. In my life. Ever...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom