Log books... how often do places ask to see them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was asked to sign someone's log book yesterday, so someone asked me to see theirs - does that count:wink:?
But that's the first time I've even seen one for a very long time. I think some of my friends keep 'em, but many don't.

The charter boat down in Key Largo didn't ask.

But after diving, or just BS'ing, around the area, and seeing the experience levels (or lack there-of) of students-in-training I've met (through a major certifying center here in Ft Lauderdale, or just met casually), I've become convinced that, in order to reach DM and/or DI class requirements, a good many divers fill their log books up with false dives.

It's almost too apparent, sometimes, so I've come to take an attitude (a poor one, granted) that I very well might be not allowed to dive certain sites, and will probably end up offended, but I'm not going to have my dives compared to those who, in desperation, or bowing to peer pressure, fill out their log books with dives they didn't do in order to dive certain sites. Stupid, I know, but log-book false-fill-ins seem rampant.

Does anyone else get that feeling?

Mambo Dave:
I was asked to sign someone's log book yesterday, so someone asked me to see theirs - does that count:wink:?
But that's the first time I've even seen one for a very long time. I think some of my friends keep 'em, but many don't.

The charter boat down in Key Largo didn't ask.

But after diving, or just BS'ing, around the area, and seeing the experience levels (or lack there-of) of students-in-training I've met (through a major certifying center here in Ft Lauderdale, or just met casually), I've become convinced that, in order to reach DM and/or DI class requirements, a good many divers fill their log books up with false dives.

It's almost too apparent, sometimes, so I've come to take an attitude (a poor one, granted) that I very well might be not allowed to dive certain sites, and will probably end up offended, but I'm not going to have my dives compared to those who, in desperation, or bowing to peer pressure, fill out their log books with dives they didn't do in order to dive certain sites. Stupid, I know, but log-book false-fill-ins seem rampant.

Does anyone else get that feeling?

Interesting perspective Dave. The following goes without saying (or at least it should), but I'll say it anyway. Falsifying your dive history to make it look like you have the experience necessary either for advanced training or more experienced dive sites when in fact you do not is dishonest, foolish, potentially deadly to both yourself and those you dive with and flat out misses the point. Diving isn't some sort of a competition. It's a hobby that we should all strive to enjoy safely. If you don’t have adequate experience or equipment for certain dive sites or advanced training, then don’t go there until you do if at all. There is just nothing down there worth dieing for. Nothing! It’s not cool, it’s not adventurous, it’s just downright stupid.

As a new diver (24 logged dives), I am very cognizant of the type of dives I’ll engage in. I feel very strongly about gradually expanding my diving experience. I seek out experienced, qualified buddies or if I’m diving with new divers like myself, I keep it safe and simple. I plan on living to dive again and I don’t EVER want to endanger the lives of others diving with my by diving beyond my training or experience. I just can’t fathom why EVERY diver doesn’t have the same attitude. One of the reasons I so enjoy Scuba Board is that everyone I’ve encountered on this site appears to share my views on this point.

With that said, in my limited experience I rarely encounter other divers who even keep logs let alone have any interest in falsifying theirs. The only divers I dive with who keep them are newbies like me! I log every dive and always have my buddy sign it. My buddies have always been more than willing to sign off on dives that they did with me. Someday when I have much more experience under my belt I could see myself letting go of this practice, but I plan on logging for the foreseeable future. I take notes on equipment configuration, sites visited, underwater life I encountered, dive conditions, weighting and how I did with my buoyancy and trim. It is really more of a diary for me and my growth as a diver than it is something I think I’ll need to prove my level of experience, but I’ll have it in the event that it’s needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom