Logging dive time vs bottom time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meatsim

Registered
Reaction score
I currently log my dives in the paper PADI logbook that was given to me by the shop when i did my OW course. The time field it uses lists bottom time, I know how to use dive tables but i have always used a computer even during my training. I have always just logged the dive time as displayed by the computer, my instructor filled out the first few dives and that is all they did so i just copied them. On a shallow dive there probably isn't too much difference however I normally do slow ascents, from 130ft with a safety stop there would probably be a 10 min difference between bottom time and the dive time the computer registers.

What do everyone else use? Not that is really matters since logging dives isn't a requirement

why did your instructor fill out your dive log for you? That seems a bit ridiculous....

You need the bottom time if you're diving tables for deco calculations, but you still need your total nitrogen time so need your total dive time. I log total dive time, but very rarely am I diving square profiles

why did your instructor fill out your dive log for you? That seems a bit ridiculous....

It was an over night trip where they recorded all of the times, depths, air in and out on a slate on the boat. At the end of the trip while we (the customers) relaxed back on the dock and had lunch the crew cleaned up and the instructor did paper work which included going through the dive log on the boat and entered the times into out new logbooks for us, I thought it was a nice thing for them to do

I only have 25 dives but I log whatever my computer says is my dive time as my dive time. It does not make a distinction between "bottom time" and "dive time", neither do I. If my head is underwater, it is dive time.

Your log is your to do with what you want. I think most people log the time using the number displayed on the computer so the total time immersed including safety stop. I have seen others that remove their safety stop time from the total time and log that number.

In truth I have not really heard of people only logging the time they were on the deepest part of the dive (at the bottom) if i understood you correctly.

Its your thing man, log it how you want. Even if you use your log for any kind of official thing like furthering your training, the time is not important as long as the dive is over 20 minutes.

Rebreather diving is different because they count their hours as opposed to dives, kinda like flight times but rebreathers are a whole different kettle of fish.

"Its your thing man, log it how you want."

The Scuba Police will catch you!!!

:sinq:

This will get a ton of advice about personal log book habits. The "what to log" theme always seems to for some reason. In reply to the OP, I log both number of dives and total time underwater (from beginning of descent to head out of water). The reason being that's just what I do. Most of my dives are square profile shallow shore dives, rarely anywhere near NDLs.

It would depend what you are using the time for. If it is to qualify that a dive is a dive if over 20 min submerged then that is one thing. If it is used for use with the dive tables then you have to look at the tables you are using to define what bottom time is . Some are minus the decent others are minus the ascent and some are bottom only. I just use the computer time if at all. I don't use tables as a primary so I let the computer figure it out.

I currently log my dives in the paper PADI logbook that was given to me by the shop when i did my OW course. The time field it uses lists bottom time, I know how to use dive tables but i have always used a computer even during my training. I have always just logged the dive time as displayed by the computer, my instructor filled out the first few dives and that is all they did so i just copied them. On a shallow dive there probably isn't too much difference however I normally do slow ascents, from 130ft with a safety stop there would probably be a 10 min difference between bottom time and the dive time the computer registers.

What do everyone else use? Not that is really matters since logging dives isn't a requirement

Assuming things not in evidence - I assume you went through PADI training, recently. This is what you should have studied in your first classes regarding using the RDP.

The Recreational Dive Planner comes in two different forms, the Table version and The Wheel. Regardless of which version you use, there are several general rules you must follow. Apply the following rules anytime you use either version of the Recreational Dive Planner. 1. Bottom time is the total time in minutes from the beginning of descent until the beginning of final ascent to the surface or safety stop.

It's your dive logbook you can do as told above - as you like. Or, for now, you can follow standard training protocol and follow the above instructions from the RDP instructions. Again, your call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom