Logging Dives - why exactly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I log my dives, because I like looking back at them, so it is more of a personal journal. I have never been asked by a dive operator to see it, except for Bonne Terre (they have unprecedented requirements for allowing you to dive).

If you don't want to log dives, don't do it, it is unlikely that you will run into a situation where you need a complete log book.

Like I said, I have never run into a boat operator that required a log book, but if I did, I expect that they would accept a computer log as well, especially since it is much more difficult to fake a computer log that a log book (well, except of course in the case of a borrowed computer).

Where you may run into it, is if you are trying to do a somewhat advanced dive (beyond 60'), if you can show an AOW card, they likely won't ask for a log book. However, if you are OW certified, you might be able to do the dive if you are able to convince them that you are capable of it via your log book.

In my opinion, an OW diver with 100 dives is more advanced than a freshly minted AOW diver (provided they have pick up some skills along the way) :)

I keep pretty simple logs. I used to keep more complex logs, including what type of exposure protection I wore, what amount of weight I wore, and my tank pressures.

Now, I keep time in, time out, total dive time, max depth, average depth, location of the dive and any notes I have. I don’t need to keep time in and out though, so I might stop soon.

This lets me remember details of the dive I’d forget otherwise, especially for sites I don’t dive often. For example, one cave I was exploring, I knew I wouldn’t be able to dive very often. Incase I want to go back to it, I took very detailed notes and kept many drawings of the cave tunnels. Other sites I dive frequently, so I just write down where I went and with whom.

I have not had anyone ask to see my log. I was keeping it to get two safe cave diving awards once I reached 100 safe cave dives, but that came and went and I never sent the book in…I’ll get around to it some day.

I have had operators ask the date of my last dive, and my skill level. Because most of my diving I am doing with my own equipment, I don’t think they feel a need to ask to see proof of my dives.

I think keeping a log is nice, but that you don’t need to keep much details. It does depend on how often you dive. If I dove once a year, I might forget what weight I need, and find that information useful, for example.

Logs are truly a great resource for self assessment and future planning.

I stopped for a bit of time (actually I relied unsuccessfully on an electronic platform that ceased), and now have a significant hole in my records....

Another funny observation: In 23 years of being certified, I have never been asked to see my log book, and only asked twice to see a certification card (San Salvador & Bonaire). No shop has ever asked me for a card for fills, never asked for credentials when seeking further training, and never asked for a card to purchase equipment or get gear serviced.... I've been proofed more for buying beer, even though I'm 45.

This is through numerous cities, so not just a "I'm known in my home town" syndrome.....

I'll still continue to fill out a log - though it isn't necessarily always signed....

For me it is part of extending the enjoyment of the dive, and to help me look back on pleasant memories.

Every so often I cross refer back for data - usually when I think something like: "Every time I dive Tow Rock in the summer, it seems like there is a ripping current" and I can then cross check back and see if that is really true.

For the record, no one has ever (ever!) asked me to see my log book - regardless of where I have dived or what training course I have signed up for.

Where you may run into it, is if you are trying to do a somewhat advanced dive (beyond 60'), if you can show an AOW card, they likely won't ask for a log book. However, if you are OW certified, you might be able to do the dive if you are able to convince them that you are capable of it via your log book.

In my opinion, an OW diver with 100 dives is more advanced than a freshly minted AOW diver (provided they have pick up some skills along the way) :)

Ok Thanks all - this is what I figured. I'll be doing my AOW next month and Nitrox with it, and I'll just press on from there. That should put enough shiny new tools in my kit bag. OW left me wanting more for solid knowledge to glom experience on to. And I think I'll leave the computer to quietly rack up the numbers...

I have found keeping along useful for air consumption and weight checks. Being land-locked most of my dives are limited to one of three quarry sites so there isn't much to record.

Dived a couple of times abroad since being certified and wasn't asked on either occasion for my log book, just my cert and my credit card.

I also keep separate notes for pool dives as they have been helpful when doing weight checks, when renting equipment my weight requirements can change a lot (2-2.5kg) depending on what size drysuit and undersuit I get on any given dive.

I suppose the log may also come in useful if I decide to get further training that needs a minimum number of dives (or just create fake entries like I have seen some do).

Ok Thanks all - this is what I figured. I'll be doing my AOW next month and Nitrox with it, and I'll just press on from there. That should put enough shiny new tools in my kit bag. OW left me wanting more for solid knowledge to glom experience on to. And I think I'll leave the computer to quietly rack up the numbers...

that AOW card will probably be all you need to do Rec dives with any operator (without a log book), and of course nitrox is a very useful card as well.

I have never heard of divers being refused diving outright because of not having a logbook, but they may (and should IMO) limit access to certain sites without 'proof' of experience. How that proof is proven begs the question- a simple chat should suffice.

Logbooks are great learning tools for beginners >100. After a certain time, and if diving in exactly the same place, ie. a quarry, there is no great point IMO in carrying out a detailed log. A notebook isn't a big thing to have in a divebag though.

Logbooks don't need to have a clownfish on the cover to be a logbook.

My own theory is that dives are logged because a lot of early civilian divers were ex-military and pushed the habit onto recreational divers because it was habitual for them.

That said...

As a new diver I think my logs are very useful in figuring out what various gear changes really mean to buoyancy.

Back
Top Bottom