Long, Hard, but Rewarding Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeekDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok,

I've been doing alot of training this month, Deep, Nitrox, and Rescue. I finnished up Rescue this weekend. It was a great class, had alot of fun and learned alot.

The best part of this weekend was that I got to tie in my rescue class and help "unofficialy" assist my Inst with a very small Basic OW class. This allowed me to get some practicle application in observing real divers in the naturaly stressfull enviroment of BOW. It was very rewarding to help assist these divers and to offer "tips" to help improve and get through there openwater dives. I relived a few cramps, help with some gear problems I even assisted a diver who got tangle in an upline of one of the buoy markers.

Today as the newly cert divers departed they thanked me for my assistance/help during there open water dives. I didn't think much about the tips I offered or the minor help with gear or leg cramps but they seemed very sincere in there thanks and when I tried to be humble they commented that they thought I did great and was helpful.

I knew I wanted to work twords becoming a Divemaster and up until this weekend helping was not the primary reason of this goal but was more to improve and possibility of perks (keyman discount, possibility of working free trips etc). Now I see how personaly rewarding this role can be it has changed my outlook a bit and has reaffirmed my commitment to this goal (of becoming a DM) and possibly to inst level.

As a side note I also was sucessful in swim backwards (in my splits no less). I havn't got it down pat by any means but I was able several times to get going backwards and move 10'+ at a time.

Geek

You have struck upon what I've found to be the most rewarding part of being a DiveMaster. Developing the ability to assist someone who's having some problems with their skills, gear, ability, etc. can yield a tremendous amount of self satisfaction that goes well beyond dollar signs.

Good luck with your DM class (I assume you're going to move forward with it).

DSAO!

Beast and I started DM classes for the knowledge of it and he was very impressed with the help the DM gave him in his OW checkouts. It only took that first class when a student came up and said "thank you for your help" for both of us to be hooked.

The free air fills, store discount and yearly key man deal are nice but if that's the only reason for being a DM, a person will be a very bad one! It takes an emotional as well as financial committment. It sounds like you'll enjoy the rewards as well as the work of it.

It is such a satisfied feeling when a student tells you Thanks.... that's all the payment we need.

Thanks to all for there encouragement. I was hopeing to be able to start a DM class last month but with every thing that has occured this year just could get all the other stuff out of the way. The water will start to cool off real soon so I'm going to hold off till next season. I've got my money inline and will start to make some descisions on who I want for an instructor.

I was in just about the same situation you are in earlier this year. I have always enjoyed helping people and I'm pretty enthusiastic about scuba. I used to be a swim coach for an age group (from ~4-18yr old) swim team when I was in high school, and I loved ever minute of it - teaching people to swim, helping them to get past a milestone, etc. The idea of working part-time as a divemaster for a local dive shop seemed like a great idea.

However, earlier this summer, I was witness to an event that made me rethink the plan. While there are good days diving, there are also bad days, sometimes very bad. It's fairly rare, but people do die while scuba diving, and sometimes they die during a class. The reality of being a DM or instructor during a terrible accident and all the things that occur after the accident (informing the family, describing the event ad nauseum to police/insurance, possible legal action, etc.) caused me to really think about becoming a DM. I have no desire to make dive instruction my primary source of income, so to risk everything else for a leisure activity seemed a bad move. These days, negligent or not, one angry family and a lawyer could take everything you have - either in a judgement against you in court, or in legal fees defending yourself - not to mention having the memory of an accident to carry with you for the rest of your life.

My choice was to get certified for everything I can get without being in the professional ranks. I want to do everything I can to make diving for myself and those with me safe, and I want to make sure that I am trained to deal with crisis if they occur to the best of my abilities. Beyond that, I just can't justify it. I'm not saying this is the choice for everyone, but if you're serious about what you're doing, you need to be aware of both the good times (smiling faces thanking you for your time, complimenting your skills) and the bad times.

PurduEE once bubbled...
.... My choice was to get certified for everything I can get without being in the professional ranks. I want to do everything I can to make diving for myself and those with me safe, and I want to make sure that I am trained to deal with crisis if they occur to the best of my abilities. Beyond that, I just can't justify it. I'm not saying this is the choice for everyone, but if you're serious about what you're doing, you need to be aware of both the good times (smiling faces thanking you for your time, complimenting your skills) and the bad times.

That's certainly something all DM's have to take into consideration. We've thought about it too and now only DM for certain Instructors we trust. I have to admit I do NOT miss pool sessions! :wink:

Instead of working so much as DM's, we instead enjoy mentoring students and new divers. A large number of students never dive because they have no regular buddy, are intimidated to ask to dive with others, or are just scared to do it outside the class setting. We usually have 2-3 new divers a summer join us. We offer no instruction. We do offer the opportunity to dive with an experienced diver, one who will give you tips on how to get properly weighted, trimmed and perfect bouyancy. We'll help them get more comfortable in the water and gain confidence in their abilities as they improve through experience. Usually by summers end, these new divers are leading and navigating our dives. In ways it's lots more rewarding than divemastering.

don't forget to tell um all that "mentoring" will have them dive lockers overflowing too.:D I wish I could hit the lake Weds. but alas, parent - Teacher night at the school.Guess I better be there.I don't think I'll ever get a day to dive........UUURRRGGGGGG!

I didn't want to sppok him right off the bat!

We haven't dived many Wed.'s at all this summer. It's either been raining on Wednesdays or we were dealing with Pop on some level. Several of us decided to try it on Fridays instead. That way if it turned into a late evening no one had to worry about work the next day.

Maybe we'll see you sometime soon!

Purduee,

I can understand and respect your decision. Although I'm still a newby and I have alot to learn I can draw some similarities from my time in the Army. I know that even in the best of time the worst can and does happen. I hope that through making a decision in becoming a DM that although I may not always be able to reach or save all but I may be able to help at least one. If I can make a differance for just one then that will be enough. As an NCO in the Army I may not have been remembered by all I worked with but I'm sure that for a few I was able to make a lasting impression.

Geek

Geek,

Don't give these nay sayers who whine and worry the time of day. Especially the ones that make long advisory posts and don't have the guts to post any credential info in their profile.

Talk about bushwhacking!! You'll make a damn good DM and an even better instructor someday.

Statistically, your chances are greater of being bitten by an alligator or struck by lightening at Twin Lakes than being sued regarding your diving activities. See ya soon!!

Back
Top Bottom