long hose + bungeed octo for rec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

potato cod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there!

Our LDS encourages the long hose + bungeed octo for all divers, not just their "tech" divers. The arguments for using this set up seem valid and I'm basically sold on it.

Here's my question: is there any reason NOT to use this setup for recreational diving? I have no plans to do any tech diving and always dive in nice warm reef environments. I also always dive with the same buddy (my SO) and he'd have the same reg config and be familiar with the setup if either of us had an OOA situation.

I plan on getting my own reg/octo within the next few weeks for my 35th birthday--yea! Since this means I am a Libra, I need to weigh all options a trillion times before I can make a decision, so your input would be greatly appreciated!

P-Cod

There is no reason it can't work for recreational diving. I've done it many times.

Oh and happy pre-birthday!

To answer the question. No reason not to for rec diving. As a matter of fact I think the long hose/bungeed back-up is a great way to go for rec. It sounds like your being properly trained in how to deploy it which is great. Your buddy is going to have the same set-up, even better. It's a no brainer, stick with this set-up.

Regards

I think it's great for recreational diving. There's no disadvantage to having a long donation hose that gives you space to work with during air shares, and the idea of an octo bungeed around your neck is to me completely sound - why wouldn't you want to have your backup immediately available when diving recreationally?

Actually, I can think of one potential downside. Not everyone you dive with may be aware of, or sufficiently understand the long-hose setup, so to the extent that you should already be doing thorough gear checks with a new buddy, it's even more important that you make them aware of the procedure you'll use for donation (I'll hand you the reg in my mouth, or in an emergency, just take the one I'm breathing, and I'll go for the short backup under my neck).

I went with long hose and bungeed back-up as well. I'm a rookie, but really like the set-up. Makes more sense *to me* than the standard set-up I was certified with.

I'm a Libra too and did all the weighing - Long hose and bungee still won out :wink:

Henrik

I'm strictly open-water recreational, I use a 5' hose and bungied backup.
Makes the most sense to me of the three "mainstream" reg configurations.
I find it comfortable to use.

One observation, not particularly a negative: I think the long hose is incompatible, or at least ill-advised, with a snorkel deployed full-time on your mask. So if you go long-hose, commit to just a pocket snorkel, or no snorkel.

I had a recent occurrence that has converted me to a bungied backup during rec diving. For some odd reason (at a safe depth) my buddy decided to try and open his second stage regulator to simulate fixing a flooded regulator.

I knew as soon as I saw what he was doing that this was not going to end pretty and started to deploy my back up. But it was clipped to my D ring and before I could get it off he had bolted for the surface.

Lesson learned, under real pressure you cannot release the clamp from a D ring in time.

From now on I will wear my back up around my neck and deploy my primary when needed.

I frequently wear a 5ft hose (a little more manageable than a 7ft hose) in rec gear. I rout the hose from the first stage, under my right arm, across my chest, over my left shoulder, behind my neck, around the right side of my face to the mouth. I use a 7ft hose with my double tanks & tuck the extra length under my canister light battery at my hip, but otherwise it is routed similarly to the 5ft hose. I may switch to a shorter hose occasionally when assisting with students. Either way, I definitely use a bungied octo. The longer hose, as mentioned above, is great for giving a little extra room between myself & the other diver, if we're sharing air, but if needed, I stand ready to take control of the situation. The only downsides I've experienced with the longer hose & a bungied octo is this. 1. the longer hose needs to have a small clip on it so that it can be clipped up on a D- ring out of the way & doesn't tend to drag the ground, or fall to the ground & create a tripping hazard. 2. Both the long hose & bungied octo can be a little tricky to work around the snorkel (if you plan to use one) at first until you get used to it. My biggest issue was the long hose or the bungee necklace getting caught up in the snorkel when had to deploy the long hose or remove the bungied octo when asked to demonstrate different skills. It took a little time, to figure it out, but now it's no big deal to get around it. Overall a good way to go.

My opinion is that the 7' hose is obviously appropriate in an overhead environment such as caves but an unnecessary additional piece of gear in recreational open water . You will be diving with buddies that are not trained in its use or its deployment and I could see more of a potential hazard than a benefit to say nothing of the 7'hose's increased breathing resistance.

Back
Top Bottom