Long Island NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wanted to say hey to all the LI divers. My Fiance' and I have been diving LI for about seven years now, but I just stumbled on to this message board. Scubahb, We dove on the Jean Marie and I think it's the best run dive boat around. Very friendly and professional, and unlike some of the other boats, they didn't make my lady feel uncomfortable with too much "boys club macho BS".

Cedar Point is a nice dive if you want to see a seagrass/tide pool type ecosystem and don't mind a dive that only gets about five feet deep. There are three places to get in and only one is worth the time. There is a big tide pool fed by a small inlet. You can drift dive up the inlet, than right back out if you hit the tide right. Pop your head up and look along the right bank to see hoards of Fiddler Crabs running around.

If you like Hortons Point, you can also try "67 Steps" which is past Hortons and about a mile past Secret Beach (also nice). It's similar to Hortons with less crowds and less steps.

I would be glad to give more specific driving directions, to anyone who is interested, and would love to hear recommendations on any shore or boat dives that anyone thinks are worth the time. We had a wonderful night dive at Secret Beach this past Saturday, and are planning a late evening Fourth of July dive at the Ponquoge on Friday.

Happy Diving!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi. I'm not for Long Island but I'm from NYC. I'd like to say hi and welcome. I hope to get some info on your dive sites around the board.

Hi Aquagirl. Thanks for the welcome. Do you and your buddy ever come out here to dive locally, or are you a vacation only diver? I'm in the city all the time on business, and can't resist stopping in at Liesure Pro and blowing too much money on a monthly basis :rolleyes: Anyway, thanks again for saying hi and keep me posted on any local diving you do that might be worth recommending.

We've been to a number of shops around the city including Leisure Pro. They seemed to have competitive prices there but it seems like a better place to go once you know what you want. Since for the most part we didn't know, we've purchased most of our stuff at other shops.

We're pretty new to diving and so far have only dived on vacation but the urge to dive keeps growing in us and I can't imagine waiting until our next vacation. I would be curious to learn about local dive spots and what the water temp is. So far we've only dived with a 2/3mm wet suit. Would that be enough locally? Somehow I doubt it.

Needless to say, I can't help out with local dive spots but If you have any info on good local dive spots, by all means let me know. Thanks.

Hey Aquagirl- The first time I went to Leisure Pro, I left without buying anything. They have almost no front display area. It was when I got a hold of thier catalog that I realized that 90% of their inventory is warehoused out of sight. As you also mentioned, it's better to know what you want when you go there.

If you and your buddy get 7 mil or 5/4/3 titanium suits, and hoods you'll be ready to do some local diving (can be done for less than $200 apiece). The water is nearing 70, and is already warm enough to use tropical gloves and light booties or shoes.

There are some beautiful, safe shore dives on the north shore. If you wanted to grab a hotel room in Greenport for the weekend you'd be within a mile of three really nice dives, or you can do a day trip. Remember to bring some extra weight to adjust for the thicker suits. You can wade in chest deep and re-do your weights before you do the first dive. Diving out here will really help keep your skills sharp and is great fun. If you guys decide to do it, feel free to let me know if you need some help and directions. Jen and I will probably be able to meet you at your first dive and get you started.

By the way. If you want some more motivation to get the thicker suits, Hampton Dive is offering shark dives this summer. They take you out off of Montauk and put you in a cage. You get to see Blue Sharks, Tuna, and possibly Makos and giant Sunfish. We're going out on July 24th. They have pictures on thier website www.hamptondive.com

Hey John,

I'm originally from Forest Hills, Queens and spent quite a bit of time hanging in LI during my heydays. I have many fond memories of good times at Chauncey's by day and Speaks by night. Now living working and diving in Miami :)

Juan

Scotty - that looks so AWESOME! I'd LOVE to do that. Tell me, please, that they have those dives more than once on July 24th?? Do they have any restrictions like a certain number of logged dives or something? That would be so sweet. I feel like running to the store to get my 7mil suit...

;-0 The problem is that I have to go to Spain in a couple of weeks (not exactly a vacation :rolleyes: ) and won't be back until the end of August. It would be great to do the shark dive when I got back, if they offer it. I may need to get a thicker suit for Spain anyway, I'm still trying to find out more about diving in Spain. I initially wasn't planning on diving there, long story, but now I'm trying to squeeze it in. Hopefully, I can.

With reference to local diving, thank you for the info and the offer to meet us. I would have liked to try it out but I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to until Sept. Is Sept still good for diving locally?? I know we need to start diving locally to keep our skills sharp. You're right. I think we'll be visiting a scuba shop this week.

Aquagirl- September is the best month of the year for diving up here! The water is at it's warmest, the cooler weather calms the onshore winds, and you can actually see tropicals that get washed up on the Gulf Stream. On a good year you can wetsuit dive up until early November.

Go back through the Hampton Dive link, click on local diving, then on the boat named The Turtle. This will bring up the schedule. They have five Shark dives in September, and if the weather holds they'll probably do October also. You'll probably need to reserve at least a few weeks in advance, and I don't think there are any special qualifications. The owner of the shop knows me and has a fairly good idea of my skill level, but I reserved the dive over the phone with one of his employees and he didn't ask me any questions. The dive is $195 per person and if the weather cancels or no sharks show up you get to go again until you see some. From what I understand they've seen sharks on every trip so far.

Spain diving sounds like it could be cool! It'll get you used to temperate water diving so you can "jump right in" when you get home. Jen and I dive right up until the end of the season so the guided dive offer is open for when you get back.

aquagirl once bubbled...
Scotty - that looks so AWESOME! I'd LOVE to do that. Tell me, please, that they have those dives more than once on July 24th?? Do they have any restrictions like a certain number of logged dives or something? That would be so sweet. I feel like running to the store to get my 7mil suit...

;-0 The problem is that I have to go to Spain in a couple of weeks (not exactly a vacation :rolleyes: ) and won't be back until the end of August. It would be great to do the shark dive when I got back, if they offer it. I may need to get a thicker suit for Spain anyway, I'm still trying to find out more about diving in Spain. I initially wasn't planning on diving there, long story, but now I'm trying to squeeze it in. Hopefully, I can.

With reference to local diving, thank you for the info and the offer to meet us. I would have liked to try it out but I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to until Sept. Is Sept still good for diving locally?? I know we need to start diving locally to keep our skills sharp. You're right. I think we'll be visiting a scuba shop this week.

I'll second scotty, early to mid sept is the best.. after that it depends on the weather some years the water is quite warm into early november other years its already chilly in october.. Water temp at depth doesn't change much over the year.. in general below 100 fsw (some areas it changes more) temp is in the 40 to low 50 range... shallower the water can get pretty toasty..

a couple of good places I can think of are the wantagh and meadowbrook bridges (these you only be dove with someone who knows the area, tides can be very swift) and beach 6th st (in rockaway) with a drift to the atlantic beach bridge...

viz has been averaging 20+ all season, offshore the viz has been 30+ with 40 + and better pretty common..
I was on the kenosha last week and we had over 40 feet viz, and on the Reggie it was 30+..

I

I'm heading out to the Frank Buck this weekend and If weather holds I'm beetting we has viz in the 60-80ft range at least..

Scubapro- Sounds like you have a great weekend planned. My buddy (Fiance') and I are starting to make the transition in training and equipment to do more boat diving.

Do you recommend larger singles or a smaller set of doubles (with seperate pony bottles of course) for wrecks out here? We both have high end BC's that are convertible to double tank bands, but currently use aluminum 80's. I'm 6', 220lbs and Jen is fairly petite. We're both really good on air usage.

We're taking our Rescue Diver classes in August when Jen's summer class ends. The plan from there is to start with 80' or shallower dives using single tanks with ponys and taking it to the next level next summer. In the meantime I want to get some good steel tanks over the winter. We're also toying with the idea of getting two more BC's and having seperate "rigs" for shore and boat dives. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.....Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom