long scrubber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiver56

Reaction score
my friend is an avid cave diver and he has a personelly moddified megladon but he uses tripple redundency and a scrubber or some type of scrubber like chemical that he can stay submerged 22 hours what is this chemical

Lithium Oxcide. Not recommended for use in water since it could react and become toxic. Sofnolime will last 6-8 hours, and is what most RB divers use.

musmach:
Lithium Oxcide. Not recommended for use in water since it could react and become toxic. Sofnolime will last 6-8 hours, and is what most RB divers use.

It's actually lithium hydroxide - remember it is caustic that scrubs carbon dioxide. Also, the time a scrubber fill is good for is dependent primarily on the canister volume (which means how much scrubber it will hold), so saying that sofnolime will last 6-8 hours is really only relevant for a specific canister volume - and not all rebreathers have the same canister volume. I don't know that most RB divers use Sofnolime - I use Sofnolime and Sodasorb.

scubadiver56:
my friend is an avid cave diver and he has a personelly moddified megladon but he uses tripple redundency and a scrubber or some type of scrubber like chemical that he can stay submerged 22 hours what is this chemical

Curious. How did your pal make his unit (3X) redundant? Is is carrying two other RB's in tow? Olivier Isler had an interesting unit with redundancy.

http://www.divernet.com/technol/0400caves.htm

not sure but i hear something bout primery hud and back up i dont know if this means anything

scubadiver56:
not sure but i hear something bout primery hud and back up i dont know if this means anything

Thanks for your reply. The Meg has primary controller already and a redundant display which is the HUD. The 3X part was a tad confusing as I hadn't heard of Meg divers pushing a system hard.

If he has a Cis-Lunar scrubber, or prototype Meg radial scrubber he can take Lithium Hydroxide. They used this during the Wakulla projects. Other than that most fellas taking a redundant rebreather are using something along the lines of this unit - the Joker.

http://perso.orange.fr/philippe.moya/recycleur.htm

musmach:
Sofnolime will last 6-8 hours, and is what most RB divers use.
The one Meg diver I know of who insisted his Meg can last 6 hrs on Sofnolime never returned to the boat. He was lost at sea. Not suprising as that's twice the time Innerspace says it lasts.

scubadiver56:
While a Cis-Lunar stack will fit the Megalodon cannister, it won't last 22 hrs. Not even filled with Lithium Hydroxide. For the Cis-Lunar MK-5p for which the cannister was designed the rating was 5 hrs at 1 lpm O2 consumption, 3.3 hrs at 1.5 lpm O2 consumption. For comparison, the Sofnolime duration for these work loads were 4 hrs and 2.7 hrs, respectively.

The Cis-Lunar MK-1 prototype finished a 24 hrs test dive back in the 90s, but as you can see in the pictures on Rebreathers Worldwide it was a rather large unit with dual scrubbers. I rather doubt your friend uses this setup on his Meg. :wink:

Mr.X:
If he has a Cis-Lunar scrubber, or prototype Meg radial scrubber he can take Lithium Hydroxide.
http://perso.orange.fr/philippe.moya/recycleur.htm

Hello Mr.X, the Meg radials I have seen had only mesh and perf metal, no goretexy membrane. So then it would be a no go with LiHO. Unless maybe you are talking about a proto-prototype, or a Meg using an actual Cislunar scrubber? -Andy

silent running:
Hello Mr.X, the Meg radials I have seen had only mesh and perf metal, no goretexy membrane. So then it would be a no go with LiHO. Unless maybe you are talking about a proto-prototype, or a Meg using an actual Cislunar scrubber? -Andy

I've never had my hands on a Meg radial. I would assume they would try to use some proprietary Cis-Lunar technology like the goretexy material? It'll be interesting to see what is finally sold to the public.

Either or, given a choice of duration I would probably opt for a redundant rebreather...but that's really only a thought since I have not had the need to bailout...even with partially flooded scrubbers. All I can say is that it tastes funny. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom