long-swim Commercial dive this week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mambo Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey y'all...

I want to do a Commercial beach dive & hogfish hunt sometime this week after 3 PM.

My problem with finding a partner generally is that I am much happier doing boat dives - even if I don't have a boat, so to me that's at least a swim out to the white buoys (off of Commercial - the drop-off other places). I don't know if that's an actual 1/4 mile swim, but whatever it is I prefer to do it on the surface to save the air for the hunting / whatever it is we do out past the dropoff. (it sorta looks like three pier lengths out?) Once we get out there, the search is on for whatever, so this is not an invite for the people who get winded whilst swimming. It does seem as if the bugs have pretty much been harvested that far out, so bringing a lobster hotel becomes a real hydrodamic drag, but I will probably bring a pole spear for any opportunity that knocks.

On the last dive out there bjpell and I spent about 20-some minutes wrestling a stuck and discarded Fortress FX-11, its chain and a little of its rope. I swam that sucker the whole way back to shore, and it now makes a nice decoration by the front door.

Also, I don't mind diving low-vis conditions if there is a goal. I know of a few boats that sunk during the last hurricane (takes some traveling, some are pretty shallow), and salvaged one of them - I would really like to locate and explore a few more. This would involve wreck penetration if you're comfortable with it.

I like getting things done on dives more than looking at reefs and little fish :thumb:

I currently have an HP100, and am looking for a LP120 to get extra time. If this sounds like your game, and you're a safe tech-leaning diving partner, PM me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom