Long Weekend in Cozumel Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hutchel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are looking for ideas for a long weekend in Cozumel 30 Nov- 4 Dec. We are Rescue Diver Cert'd (about 20 dives so far) and we own our own equip. We want a quiet atmosphere and good quality diving. We've done large ops and small ops - I think we like small better. We don't want to spend a mint, but don't want to be in a motel 6 either. We will likely try to do a specialty cert course while we are there. Night life is not required. A quiet pool is a good thing and we may try shore diving if it's available.

This would be our first time in Coz (we've done Cancun several times). We are members of Palace Resorts and have a quote for the Coz Palace but suspect we can do better.

thanx

Lee

Hutchel:
My wife and I are looking for ideas for a long weekend in Cozumel 30 Nov- 4 Dec. We are Rescue Diver Cert'd (about 20 dives so far) and we own our own equip. We want a quiet atmosphere and good quality diving. We've done large ops and small ops - I think we like small better. We don't want to spend a mint, but don't want to be in a motel 6 either. We will likely try to do a specialty cert course while we are there. Night life is not required. A quiet pool is a good thing and we may try shore diving if it's available.

Caribe Blu is a good fit for your requirments. It's no frills but it is pretty and clean, on the channel, good beds, quiet with a great on site dive shop and shore diving. The price is right.

Hutchel:
This would be our first time in Coz (we've done Cancun several times). We are members of Palace Resorts and have a quote for the Coz Palace but suspect we can do better.

Better how? The Palace is one of the nicer resorts on the island. It's much smaller than it's mainland sisters and is really a top notch place. You can get any dive op, such as Christi's to pick you up there. You won't do much better.

If by better, you mean cheaper, then, see above.

James

Casa Mexicana or Caribe Blu sound perfect for you.

Casa Mexicana is by US standards a 4 star with excellent service, nice rooms, full complimentary breakfast buffet each morning, high speed internet service, and conveniently located downtown. Depending on who you are diving with, you can get picked up by your boat at the downtown pier. They have a small pool for sunbathing on the terrace overlooking the water.

www.casamexicanacozumel.com

Caribe Blu is a bit more rustic, but very cute with clean spacious rooms, shore diving, onsite cafe/grill, high speed wireless internet, ocean side pool, pier for pick-ups, and moderately priced.

Boy, 20 dives under your belt and you've got a rescue cert. I feel like a slacker. :D You'd love Caribe Blue, I think. And the on-site dive op - Blue Angel - will make everything very, very easy. Haven't done the shore diving there since Wilma but the tanks are free so who cares!

Hutchel:
My wife and I are looking for ideas for a long weekend in Cozumel 30 Nov- 4 Dec. We are Rescue Diver Cert'd (about 20 dives so far) Lee

Just got back from Cozumel, Dove with Christi's and stayed at the Casa Mexicana. I will echo what Christi said. We had an oceanview room and I personally think the extra few bucks was worth it for the view. BTW, Christi's new shop is visible from the windows by the elevator, I used that to see if she was there. There is a white house with no windows across the street - EAT THERE - very good food. Christi can direct you. The breakfast buffet at the Casa Mexicana is great and included in the price. Due to the location, we only used one taxi the entire time we were there so we felt that we equaled our value by staying up close to everything vs. staying away for a little cheaper price.
If you use Christi's Blue XT Sea Diving, get her restuarant list. Espescia's was the most expensive place we ate and it was close to $20 for a great steamed grouper.

I've only been to Cozumel 3 times, but my brother and I always make a point to visit dive operations and hotels while there looking for the best combo for the next getaway. I've been out with three ops there now and Blue XT Sea is my hands down favorite.

Based on what you said in your post I would recommend going the Christi/Blue XT Sea/Casa Mexicana route. In fact... my GF and I are doing that exact plan in a few weeks and doing our AOW certification through Christi while there :)

Back
Top Bottom