Longer Nato Strap for D6 DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I know there was a super long flame war of a thread on here that had some good information in it about straps, but now I can't find it....(probably better that way, as a lot of that thread was a bit of a dumpster fire!)

Anyway, I got a dive in a few weeks ago with my new dry gloves and I couldn't get the nato band to fit. It went on the wrist of the glove no problem, and while that works for now I'd really like to see if anyone has come up with a bungee solution yet? I would prefer to bungee it higher on my suit, like the forearm area. On my drysuit it won't even reach around the cuff above the wrist, let alone clip shut.

I know that there's the narked @ 90 bungee that looks appealing, but not the price tag @ $45usd;
Teric Bungee Mount (Narked at 90 Product)

Has anyone come up with something better? I know ours is 22mm width (I believe), but I can't even seem to find a longer nato band.

Obviously this is only an issue in cold water with a drysuit....warm water divers need not tell me how glorious the DC mounts on your wrist no problem in your 80F water, lol!! :p:D

Hope everyone is doing well in this worldly mess.

NITROX-17 ~

Added: they used to have the 22mm straps...apparently not any more.

Added: Apparently Maratac is the manufacturer of the 17-inch bands, sold by several folks. This is a clip from the broadarrow.net site:
upload_2020-4-15_14-27-52.png

I wouldn’t overthink it. Get some bungee and tie it in the strap bar. You can make two independent loops (which is what I would do), or one continuous loop. I’d be happy to fabricate it for you 15$ plus shipping both ways.

NITROX-17 ~

Added: they used to have the 22mm straps...apparently not any more.

Added: Apparently Maratac is the manufacturer of the 17-inch bands, sold by several folks. This is a clip from the broadarrow.net site:
View attachment 580676

That looks nice, and I remember that from the older thread, but I'd really like some type of bungee. Being able to put it on the cuff before the gloves would of maybe been ok with that though.

I wouldn’t overthink it. Get some bungee and tie it in the strap bar. You can make two independent loops (which is what I would do), or one continuous loop. I’d be happy to fabricate it for you 15$ plus shipping both ways.

I've thought about that, and thanks for the offer, but I have plenty of bungee and could probably work that out. Do you have any pictures of what you did?

I'd like to see what other people have done before committing to anything.

I simply replace the dive computer straps with a continuous loop of elasticated strap.

Mine is approx 1" or 25mm width because that was the size of my computer strap pins.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

I simply replace the dive computer straps with a continuous loop of elasticated strap.

Mine is approx 1" or 25mm width because that was the size of my computer strap pins.

View attachment 580681

View attachment 580682

I like that. Cheap and easy.

Why not use separate pieces of bungee so if a pin comes out or 1 bungee breaks you don't lose the DC?

I like that. Cheap and easy.

Why not use separate pieces of bungee so if a pin comes out or 1 bungee breaks you don't lose the DC?

Because the single loop is continuous, even if I lose one pin I won't lose the computer. It will simply hang off the other pin.

The elastic strap is more secure than a knotted bungee cord. The double "Brummel Splice" holding the two ends together is very secure.

Because the single loop is continuous, even if I lose one pin I won't lose the computer. It will simply hang off the other pin.

The elastic strap is more secure than a knotted bungee cord. The double "Brummel Splice" holding the two ends together is very secure.

I'm not sure why I didn't look at it that way...trying to do too many things at once I guess. Work, kids homework, work, SB, work......

I'm not sure why I didn't look at it that way...trying to do too many things at once I guess. Work, kids homework, work, SB, work......

Note that I do the "Brummel Splice" (link to the video) twice. The second threading of the first Brummel determines the size of the loop. The second Brummel I thread very close to the previous one to have more secure ends, and then burn to seal the ends. No sewing or "knots" required.

It takes a little practice, a spike and a pair of tweezers to do a Brummel Splice in webbing or strap.

Back
Top Bottom