Looe Key--New Years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Busdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Good morning,

I am heading down for a week of relaxation, diving, and family time Dec. 27th-Jan 3. I have rented a house on Ramrod and plan on diving Looe Key numerous times. I have spent a lot of time in Key Largo and wanted to get further into the keys.

So, questions.

Recommended dive ops for the area? My favorite op in Key Largo is the HMS Minnow. I prefer to stay away from large boats. However, that said, I do want to take my little one out snorkeling a few times so a bigger boat may be better--in theory, not in practice.
Other than the reef and the Busch is there anything in the immediate area that must be hit? I know the Vandenberg is in Key West and I may head down there to hit it, I may not, depends. That may be next years venture.
Places to eat, drink, or bring six year olds?
Bahia Honda is in the area, any other beach access for shore snorkeling?

I know the weather can be iffy and will be bringing my 7mm with me. This is not a "I have to dive every moment of my waking hour" trip. I dive enough in Michigan to keep the withdrawals at bay.

As I said, I know the Key Largo area really well. We are excited to spread our legs and begin to familiarize ourselves with something more south, west, southwest, west, south, whatever direction it may be.

Thanks for the info,

Bus

I went out with Looe Key Resort last fall...not a BAD dive op, but it's a serious cattle boat, and they take out snorkelers...so take that as you like. :idk: They do the Busch and two (yes TWO) reefs every Wednesday. (and they give you a coupon for a free beer, or well drink at their tiki bar for after the dives) Anyway....Looe Key has some of the nicest lush-est reefs I've ever seen in the Keys so that's a HUGE plus!

I tried to dive with Innerspace maybe two years ago, and they screwed up my plans...someone (from that shop) posted that things have changed, so approach with caution!

Bahia Honda has great beaches (for the Keys) no need to look any further! I also think on the park lands they have snorkel trips running....you may want to double check.

Food wise...basically if it looks like a place you wouldn't take your family, it has great food! Not overly familiar with that end as far as restaurants though...

Have fun!!! Hope this helps a bit.

Have stayed in the area many times with two boys who dive. There are some "no take" protected patch reefs near Big Munson Island, shallow, loaded with fish and bugs. Shallow, 8-10 feet, perfect for snorkeling. Look at the chart or get a Top Spot for the area. There are a lot more places to eat in Marathon, some have the best seafood at reasonable prices (the commerical fish suppliers are all based out of Marathon. So plan on eating up there, and the "No Name Pub" on No Name Key, next to Big Pine. Hard to find but good casual food. Might want to rent a boat. have fun, Will in Sarasota

I went out with Innerspace last November and had a great trip. They have a 6 pack, I didn't see any other operators in the immediate area with small boats. There is another place besides Innerspace and Looe Key Dive Center (can't remember the name), but it has a big boat too. There was a snorkeler that came out with us, so I'm sure they are open to that if the boat is not full of divers. We scheduled our trip on the same day we went out, so not much potential to screw up our reservations (don't know if that is a common problem).

Don't know if you're interested, but since you mentioned Bahia Honda, it is a wonderful place to camp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom