Looking at making the digital plunge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dustbowl diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been researching Olympus digital cameras for awhile now and am finally looking to make a purchase. I have seen online a Stylus810 for $200 to which I would have to get a housing for it for another $300. Just curious as to what others are using, why, any recommendations, etc. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!!

DBD

i had been using the c5000 and upon looking to add a strobe to it, i found that the SP-350 was a good upgrade to make in the camera department because of the hot-shoe on it(which is seen as a limiting factor with the c5000). so, i am now using a SP-350, PT-030 housing with the H/W conversion done to the bulk head, YS-110 strobe with the Nikonis 5 pin cable, and a UCLS tray and arm. this set-up seems to be real popular and produces some pretty nice shots for being a entry level point and shoot system. good luck with setting up your rig.

Bill

If a hard wired strobe is not important to you take a look at:
Canon A640 (no RAW in anymore Canon PNS cameras).
Olympus SP550UZ (RAW capability). Probably the widest angle lens on a PNS camera to date. Has 18X optical zoom which is great for surface use. The zoom works in the macro mode which is not the case for most current PNS cameras. They require you to move the camera to and from the subject. Oly housing to be out very soon. Only drawback I see so far to this camera is the zoom is external versus internal. This may make it impossible to add wet mount lenses to the not yet released Ikelite housing because of the gap between the camera lens and the housing lens port at various stages of zoom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom