Looking for a book on UW Videography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shipwreckscanada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As recommended on another post, I purchased a great book on UW photography. Although I just received it, I did flip through the pages and I know it was a good recommendation. Now I’m looking for a book on UW Videography since my camera can do both photos and videos.

Can anyone recommend one I can buy, or even a web site?

What camera do you have? housed camcorder, GoPro type action cam or housed point/shoot or DSLR? While the fundamentals are the same some of the processes are different based on the camera's ability, post-processing etc.

There's a few but they're older. The original classic u/w video reference book is the Jim Church guide, written in 1984. The gear described is completely out of date as are the shooting and editing processes. Jim passed away some years ago so there's been no updates. Jim Church's Essential Guide to Underwater Video: Jim Church: 9780962338984: Amazon.com: Books

I have this one, it's about 5 years old. The equipment section is dated but some of the processes are still relatively current. I think it just starts talking about housed DSLR's near the end - my buddy has mine so I can't check. Steve won't be updating it - I emailed him recently. Underwater Digital Video Made Easy book- from Hammerhead Press

Then there's Annie's DVD. I have it also. She talks a lot about composition so although the gear/processing parts are dated, there's still some useful info. Dive Into Your Imagination - DVDs Again it's more than a few years old now.

Lastly there's a fairly recent (2009) e-book. I haven't seen it yet. High Definition Underwater Video - Scuba & Snorkeling Sports & Recreation Ebook

If you find anything newer please post a link here.

I don’t have a video camera, I have video options with my Sealife DC1400, It films in HD and I do get pretty good results in auto mode.

I did find on the internet more information on, Underwater Digital Video Made Easy. You can download a sample chapter or look through more pages at Google Book. It dates 2005.

Underwater Digital Video Made Easy - Steven M. Barsky, Lance Milbrand, Mark Thurlow - Google Books

Other this this, I also liked A Guide to Underwater Wildlife Video & Editing.

I guess I will have to choose one of the two.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the legendary Steve Fish yet - he produced a very good book on underwater video - Just googled it and it's still available

It was a little old in the tooth last time I read it but he may have updated the ebook version. Regardless, the techniques are still relevant today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom