Looking for a Dive Trip to the Flower Gardens...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP, if you're wanting to snag some lionfish, why not make a trip to Destin or Pensacola and go from there? I drove from DFW myself right after Christmas and it was about an 11 hour drive from here. Probably have much better luck with lionfish there and not have to worry about your dive getting canceled. That's the main reason I haven't made a FG trip yet because if I make the 6 hour drive to Freeport from here (Denton) and it gets canceled.....I'm not going to be a happy camper. Just a thought.

Agree that Florida is a better place for hunting lionfish. While the blowout rate is significantly lower, it's not zero. It would still be advisable to check the weather and seas forecast before leaving home.

Agree that Florida is a better place for hunting lionfish. While the blowout rate is significantly lower, it's not zero. It would still be advisable to check the weather and seas forecast before leaving home.

Seems like it would be less likely in FL, though, because the boat isn't having to go 100 miles out. FG trips have a much broader area of weather they have to watch for because it's a full weekend trip; whereas, FL boats are just day trips if I'm not mistaken. I've only been to Destin once back in December and it was just a two tank trip, which was cold at 48 degrees and rainy with 60 degree bottom temps @ 70 ft. But even the farther trips to some of the wrecks, etc. are only what about 20-25 miles out?

Thanks. I spent 14 years commercial fishing in Maine. I'm familiar with that "go/no go" decision making LOL. Hopefully the weather cooperates.
Where out of? I fished on the 4 Girls on Union wharf, seining pogies and trawling groundfish on Jeffries. Did one trip to Grand Banks out of point Judith as a really young 1/4 share guy, and made 408 trips to the Flower Gardens.

Seems like it would be less likely in FL, though, because the boat isn't having to go 100 miles out.

I think I pretty much agreed but less likely does not mean never. I've been in Pensacola a few times when there was no boat diving all weekend. We shore dive the jetties or hit the springs when that happens. But if one is set on boat diving then it would still be prudent to check the forecasts before embarking on a 9 or 10 hour drive and make sure hotel rooms are cancellable.

Where out of? I fished on the 4 Girls on Union wharf, seining pogies and trawling groundfish on Jeffries. Did one trip to Grand Banks out of point Judith as a really young 1/4 share guy, and made 408 trips to the Flower Gardens.

Grew up in South Harpswell. My dad owned a lobster wharf in Basin Cove. I fished for lobster in central Casco Bay from 82 to 99. Dragged for scallops a few winters too. Never did any offshore trips - didn't have enough boat for that.

408? Wow....

408. I captained one of the 2 liveaboards out there. My uncle owned the Bait Lady, but I probably shouldn't say that. I've actually come to fistacuffs over it.

The trip is no GO for this weekend & neither was for last weekend. Next week trip is nearly booked full. I think they may have a couple spots left. @Rob Bibber hopefully your trip is not for this weekend.

I had to go to a business trip on the 2nd half of March. So there goes my FG trip plan in March. I may try in April.

The trip is no GO for this weekend & neither was for last weekend. Next week trip is nearly booked full. I think they may have a couple spots left. @Rob Bibber hopefully your trip is not for this weekend.

I had to go to a business trip on the 2nd half of March. So there goes my FG trip plan on March. I may try in April.

My trip is on the 24th-25th - last I heard Ascuba Venture out of Corpus still has a few spots available ;-).
Hoping things calm down with the weather. Conditions seem to be slowly improving. Hoping to dive the Jetties at Port Aransas tomorrow...

There hasn't been a trip go this year. Off to another very bad start.

Back
Top Bottom