Looking for a good laptop backpack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sapphire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, I figured there were lots of you out there who travel with your laptop. I find now that I am taking digital underwater photos that I like taking it with me on dive trips. However, I HATE taking it through airport security! I get my backpack/carryon packed 'just so' and then I have to pull the laptop out to go through screening, and then it takes forever to get it back in the backpack and arrange everything so it fits again.

I have seen these backpacks that have a 'side entry' slot for laptops. There is a huge range in styles and prices, and I was just wondering if anyone was using this item. If so, what do you like/not like about it, and would you recommend it? What should I be looking for?

All tips are welcome, especially manufacturers and styles (and place where you bought it plus price if you are willing to share).

Thank you :biggrin:!!

I haven't tried this in anger yet, but I bought a carry-on size wheelie bag with rollerblade type wheeels (should be fixable anywhere), extending handle (usual 5cm too short) and backpack shoulder straps. What caught my eye in my LDS was the fact that the laptop-sized front panel zips completely off the main bag and has its own backpack-style shoulder straps.

I've been looking for a bag like this for a while because I like to work on my laptop on the flights and thus prefer my carry-on to be accessable under the seat. However as the airlines increase 'legroom', they actually reduce the underseat storage (there is usually some box of gubbins under at least one of the seats in front) so big carry-ons have to go overhead.

Hopefully with this new bag I will have room for regs etc in the main case which can go overhead and the laptop, a good book and other in-flight survival stuff can be crammed under-seat.

Well that's the plan... I'll find out in three and a half weeks 8^)

Two bags were on offer, one had a Body Glove label and the other had a PADI label, half an hour of detailed examination reveled no difference between the two - clearly the same manufacturer. A slightly sticky zipper on the Body Glove version swayed me towards the PADI one - since it's carry-on wasn't too concerned with having a diving logo on it.

Just some thoughts...

K.

Thanks for the tip. I guess why I am just looking for the backpack item is that I have another rolling carry on with all the camera gear and regulator, etc. If I had 2 wheeled items I can just see how clumsy I would be in the airport! How big is the part it zips on to? Do you have a model name so I could research it?? Maybe it could replace the one I have...
Thanks for the info!

I bought the Spire Volt XL about 8 months ago as I travel constantly and I can't live with out it.

They have what is called a "boot" which is a thin padded sleeve for your laptop, there are different sizes for different laptops based on size chart so a snug fit.

The boot then slides into the "r3", http://www.spireusa.com/products/r3_gallery.htm inside the backpack.

Also they have heaps of well thought out pockets and compartments and a handy headphone jack hole for your ipod heh. I cannot recommend this line of products enough.

They only sell them online and I was a bit hesitant at first as I like to look at items in the physical, and they are pricer than normal targus type bags at best buy etc but I am so happy that I bit the bullet and bought it.

I have not seen anything like it on the market.

Just ask if you have any questions.

Paul.

I should have added it makes the whole flight secuirty check in process alot smoother

Wow, great information everyone! I am having a great time perusing all the bag options! If anyone else has a favorite please let me know!

cheers!

I use this one:

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=TSB312

It's not "side entry" but there is a specific pocket inside for the laptop which allows you to pull it out and put it back in without disturbing the other contents of the backpack. The laptop is well protected inside it.

James

I like the Tom Bihn brand too. His "monolith" is a great bag, the suspension built in on the bottom is a good thing. Plus, it is vertical in shape so it fits in a backpack well. I use it with a regular backpack, not a special laptop bag. It's the same argument as the "scuba bags with scuba logos all over them scream out to be stolen" idea you hear often on this board. People are less likely to think "laptop" when they see an old Jansport, but inside the laptop still is protected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom