Looking for a good tech instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willdiveforhugs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

Could you point me to the true gurus please?

I am hoping for your recommendations on specific individual instructors. Agencies don’t matter to me. I want to learn and then master the skillset not collect cards.

Diving history: AOW less than 100 dives currently practicing side mount.

Living between Portland OR and Seattle area.

Would like to commit to training with a goal of eventually proficient technical diving on an ongoing basis.

This would likely be in one week blocks with occasional weekends.

Thank you in advance.

Felix

If you are open to GUE training (backmount doubles), there are a number of good instructors in the Seattle/Vancouver Island areas. I've had great experiences with both Guy Shockey and Jason Cook. I've heard good things about other instructors in the area as well.

Hi,

Could you point me to the true gurus please?

I am hoping for your recommendations on specific individual instructors. Agencies don’t matter to me. I want to learn and then master the skillset not collect cards.

Diving history: AOW less than 100 dives currently practicing side mount.

Living between Portland OR and Seattle area.

Would like to commit to training with a goal of eventually proficient technical diving on an ongoing basis.

This would likely be in one week blocks with occasional weekends.

Thank you in advance.

Felix
I would suggest you look at TDI instructors (rather than PADI). The progression for TDI is to take Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures concurrently. GUI does not allow sidemount and anything over 100 feet is supposed to be trimix. Unless you have excess cash burning a hole in your pocket, the price of helium can be eyewatering

Thank you both.

There are two TDI tech centers near me and I have appointments with both to sit down and discuss a plan. (I kind of want to feel out the person proposed to train me)

The DIR outfits like GUE look sexy, but it seems difficult to train with them locally unless I misunderstood reading the websites.

Does GUE or other similar local tech divers off privates / training on my schedule?

Thank you both.

There are two TDI tech centers near me and I have appointments with both to sit down and discuss a plan. (I kind of want to feel out the person proposed to train me)

The DIR outfits like GUE look sexy, but it seems difficult to train with them locally unless I misunderstood reading the websites.

Does GUE or other similar local tech divers off privates / training on my schedule?
A big part of GUE training is working with a team. So they don't offer private classes. However, most instructors are happy to schedule a class at a time and location (even if it requires that they travel) that works for you. Additionally, many instructors do offer 1:1 coaching if there are specific skills you'd like to improve.

If there's any interest, I'd suggest reaching out to a couple instructors and talk to them about your goals.

A big part of GUE training is working with a team. So they don't offer private classes. However, most instructors are happy to schedule a class at a time and location (even if it requires that they travel) that works for you. Additionally, many instructors do offer 1:1 coaching if there are specific skills you'd like to improve.

If there's any interest, I'd suggest reaching out to a couple instructors and talk to them about your goals.
You mentioned Guy Shockey. I met him only a couple of times, the second time a few months ago when he was teaching an instructor course in Mexico, and he let my wife and me who happened to be staying next door sit in on a "classroom" session. I was really impressed with his teaching style. I have zero doubt he would be glad to take a phone call from @Willdiveforhugs. There is also Kees Leverenz in Seattle.

GUE is, of course, just one option, and it's not for everyone. I only took one TDI course, but the instructor was highly regarded, and he taught through multiple agencies if I recall.

Hey Washingtonians, @wetb4igetinthewater, @rjack321 , can you help the OP with some local advice?

I would suggest you look at TDI instructors (rather than PADI). The progression for TDI is to take Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures concurrently. GUI does not allow sidemount and anything over 100 feet is supposed to be trimix. Unless you have excess cash burning a hole in your pocket, the price of helium can be eyewatering
There really are not that many good non-GUE tech instructors in the area, unless you go farther north into Vancouver. There is one in my mind, but good luck with scheduling him.

A big part of GUE training is working with a team. So they don't offer private classes.
I did a day workshop with Kees after I took fundies. It was skills focused, and it was great the way he pushed me until my limits/deficiencies were blatantly obvious. I'd recommend going the fundies route and then doing workshops for those specific skills. This doesn't make sense for all skills (i.e., ones involving team members), but it sure is great for individual skills.

Hey Washingtonians, @wetb4igetinthewater, @rjack321 , can you help the OP with some local advice?
I think going with 8 Diving with the GUE folks there is the way to go. The only question can be personalities matching. But the quality of instruction is pretty much guaranteed.

Thank you all very much.

Looks to me like I do need to spend a vacation week trying to line up GUE fundamentals out of Seattle and see if I can arrange some apprentice from there.

(I work in Portland and live in Seattle area when not working).

For weekdays in the Portland area I’ve found a small local TDI dive team that frequents hood canal, I plan to give them a try for like minded group diving locally. ( Spartanscuba out of Gresham, is anyone familiar?)

Some instructors break up Fundies into Fundies 1 and Fundies 2. So if vacation time is a concern, it's possible to take it over 2 2-3 day weekends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom