Looking for a more aggressive computer algorithm.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There definitely are more liberal and more conservative computers. Differences are sometimes fairly small and not necessarily consistent but they can also be quite large, like 10 to 15 minutes of useful, safe bottom time. I have yet to see any credible source claim there was any significant safety difference from one model to another. After diving a Scubapro EDI that would run me out of NDL while others still had 15 minutes and more, I switched to Oceanics. Oceanic has updated its O2 algorithms in newer computers but the Nitrogen algorithm seems to be unchanged in at least the last 10 years.

First, I disagree with those saying "there's only a few minutes difference" between algorithms. Obviously they've never run a late model Suunto and an Oceanic together on the same dive. (FWIW, I used to dive a Suunto Companion that was pretty aggressive for an air computer but that was 15 years ago)

But I will say, there's not a large difference between the Prime and say a VEO 250.

Personally, I want my computer to show me the maximum alowable dive time and let me adjust the amount of cushion to impliment on NDL's on any given dive/day .. taking in the factors that you should be considering over and above the ones the computer is using , like how your feeling, water temp, current, etc

Oceanic are ones that allow you to do this

Most people who get bent are within the NDL limits of their computer.

The algorithms are just primative estimates of the interactions between a complex biological system and a rapidly changing physical environment.

There is no one magic point where on one side you are 'bent', and on the other you are 'not bent': it is a grey zone, which changes on every dive due to your profile, the conditions and the state you are in.

How far into this grey zone do you want to go?

Personally, I want my computer to show me the maximum alowable dive time and let me adjust the amount of cushion to impliment on NDL's on any given dive/day .. taking in the factors that you should be considering over and above the ones the computer is using , like how your feeling, water temp, current, etc

Oceanic are ones that allow you to do this

In one of my classes, the instructor harped on the fact that the best dive computer out there was "the one between your ears" :)

And yes, I dive an Oceanic Versa Pro.

First, I disagree with those saying "there's only a few minutes difference" between algorithms. Obviously they've never run a late model Suunto and an Oceanic together on the same dive.

Are there differences between them in terms of NDL? Sure. My point was that the likelihood that the difference will appreciably change the way the OP and his wife will dive is pretty slim.

I dive a Vytec DS, my buddy dives an Oceanic Datamask. We both have decent SAC rates. We've done literally hundreds of dives together all over the world; everything from 90min shore dives in Bonaire to ~160' wall dives in Caymans to 100' deep wreck penetrations in the Red Sea. In all that time we've never had a single dive where my Suunto wanted to send me up significantly earlier than his Oceanic.

I'd say that on the average "single AL80 dive" we're coming up after 45-60min with >750psi simply because "we're done with the dive."

Not true
The new computers come with the older DSAT and now a new Z+ algorithm.
Here is a link to the OC1 page with the definitions. The new VEO series also support the new algorithm.

Oceanic Worldwide - Dive Computers - OC1 Wristwatch with Dual Algorithm

Difference may be what we are calling old and new. My Oceanic Data Plus provides different subsequent dive planning results than my buddy's 180 and 250. We tracked the difference to be entirely in the cumulative O2 limits with my older Data Plus being clearly more conservative after some pretty heavy diving (4 or 5 dives per day, 32%, 80 to 100 ft).

Difference may be what we are calling old and new. My Oceanic Data Plus provides different subsequent dive planning results than my buddy's 180 and 250. We tracked the difference to be entirely in the cumulative O2 limits with my older Data Plus being clearly more conservative after some pretty heavy diving (4 or 5 dives per day, 32%, 80 to 100 ft).

Check the web page, the data plus is really old, the VEO 180 and 250 are now "old"

The newest computers they are coming out with have BOTH algorithms available. The diver can select which one they want to use. The Z+ is newly developed by Oceanic, as in within the last year.

Back
Top Bottom