Looking for a new computer... Advice needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cliffoco

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Like many others, I am contemplating which computer to buy - I already own a full set of gear my most recent purchase a second hand but never used drysuit. Like some I HATE spending money, and seeing as how I was able to do all the dives and just follow a buddies computer or use the free tables I never required a computer. I am now wanting to be more of an independent diver and would like to better be able to monitor my time (and get into Nitrox)

What would you recommend? I am looking at two options Air integrated so it can calculate my remaining air time and just a basic puck or wrist style with no air integration. I hear Deep 6 is coming out with a basic puck style for around 150 (I think?) I am also open to used.

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
I have had good results from Hollis DG02 units that I have purchased used. I have three of them so that I can have my kids all running on the same computer. Its the same as a Oceanic Veo180. My only complaint is that the screen is a little busy, but that's not a big issue. I have found these a cheap as $80 used.

Now if you need the option of multiple gas selection, you might try for another option. I found a great deal on a gently used Dive Rite Nitek3. It allows switching between 3 gases.

Personally (and this is what I am doing at the moment) I would wait until after DEMA where a lot of manufacturers will probably release their latest and greatest models.

With that in mind, you can then either pick up a bargain as they get rid of older stock or buy the latest greatest computers (a number of manufacturers are rumoured to be releasing new or revised DC's featuring AI).

If you are as cheap as I am, here is a new puck for $199. The discontinued Aeris A300 is the equivalant to the Oceanic VEO 3.0 (made by the same company) and the warranty is still honered by Oceanic. While the three gas capability is a good selling point the biggie for me is the easy of a three button interface and uncluttered intuative display.

https://www.amazon.com/AERIS-Person...TF8&qid=1474049067&sr=8-2&keywords=aeris+a300

As basic as I would go is a Puck Pro. I currently own one. I am no expert by any means I hit 23 dives this past weekend while getting my Advanced Open Water. I do wish I would have spent a little more on a computer though.

Pros:
-Great ease of use
-Holds 25 dives (bought the cable and syncs with MacDive great)
-Shows depth, average depth, temp and all the basics I use at my level

Cons:
-Would love a wireless air transmitter option
-Wish the display was brighter with the light
-No Compass
-Single button can be annoying sometimes (double edge sword with ease of use, overall not bad)

None of the cons have been deal breakers so far. I can admit if I could add 2 things it would be wireless air then compass. I did not realize how nice it would be to have the air reading just as a easy glance feature but always to log my air usage and see what differences I am having a s I progress as a diver.

Buy two (not one) sets of Shearwater DSAT tables.

Seriously, though, I'd wait for Black Friday sales for new and/or after DEMA for people buying new shinies and dumping their old stuff for used.

Puck is about the cheapest option option new right now. Deep 6, if it ever materializes, may go through a period of initial tweaks and fixes so may not be a good buy until version 1.1 comes out. If you're diving in the dark, LED/TFT screen might be worth the extra $$, but AFAIK $300 DeepBlu is the cheapest one with that out there. (It's also new, not yet on v.1.1 last I looked.)

Back
Top Bottom