Looking for a "wet" reg!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jupiter31

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a reg - price unimportant - that will prevent "cottonmouth" - maybe desiring moisture is a better term than "wet" but you get the idea.

I currently dive an Aqualung LX - great air flow/delivery but it totally drys out my mouth - back in the '80's my wife had a Sherwood Oaisis, she liked it but I found it hard breathing.

All my diving is warm water (I live in Coconut Grove FL); depths average 60 - 90 (occasionally 100+) - active diver since 1977; 50+ dives a year. Dive both air and NITROX. Cold water to me is below 80 :)

I have used the search function, read a ton of posts,but everyone seems to want "dry"

I had a Mares (MK 12?) in the late 80's that was great. Have a Ziegel (sp?) BC and its great; wonder about their regs.....

I would be very greatful for any suggetions - I'm new to the board but not diving. Thanks much in advance.

You may have to go to a metal second stage, instead of a plastic one. Metal produces condensation, so the reg is not quite as dry when you breathe. If you want a trully wet-breathing reg, the Oceanic Omega II second stages retain a little water in the "barrel," just below the mouthpiece.

Hopefully you'll get some good advice here on specific regs. I dive with Scubapro regs that are dry-breathing, so I keep myself well-hydrated with plenty of water before and after diving. I can live with cottonmouth (and throat) for the time it takes for a couple of dives a day.

Hope this helps.

brihno:
what about the apollo bio filter

I personally think the filter is a good place to harbor and grow bacteria and other nasty crud. It's also another maintenance concern that makes an otherwise simple setup more complicated.

Just my opinion though.

The omega is a bit damp breathing, but it's really WET if diving a wall right shoulder down! This is true of all side exhaust regs.

Any reg can be made to breathe a bit wet, but drilling a #80 hole in the diaphram or second stage body will usually void any manufacturer warranties.

I have an old US Divers 2nd stage (I think it's a conshelf XII. the first is a XII and I can't find any markiings on the second, the sticker in the center is long gone) It was just rebuilt completely. I'd consider selling it. It's in great condition, the exhaust tee is nice and flexible--not hard or cracking.

You don't really want a "wet" reg to relieve dry mouth. A wet reg means that salt water is getting in, which won't really help dry mouth.

Go with an old brass reg. As Realdiver said, the condensation from your exhaled breath is somewhat "recycled" when you inhale. I use an old Conshelf XIV, and I don't get dry mouth. Just don't swim upside-down or head down, unless you like inhaling water...
I actually used to own an Apollo A105 with a biofilter. It does prevent drymouth, but then again if I can get the same results from an old brass 2nd, then at least I don't need the additional maintenance step in removing and drying the filter after my dive day is done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom