Looking for analyzer...need a little help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

have one. O2 sensors are as easy as anything else. CO sensors no different though it is annoying at least on mine that the unit bricks if the CO calibration goes out of date. Thankfully our local fire department has bump gas and a regulator to calibrate it. Before I had access to it, I just exhaled into the thing, told it that it was 20ppm and used it more as a "go no-go" type analyzer instead of actually trusting what it said.

Ok great thanks, I think I’m going to get a O2EII pro, I like the idea of being able to check CO2 but not sure it’s worth it in my case with the the problems and hassles I’m reading about as far as factory cal. And software issues.

@Ghost Diver # the CO monitoring is IMO more important than the fO2 monitoring. More people die on average every year from CO poisoning than they do from O2 toxicity or DCS from a bad nitrox mix. Combine that with pretty much every dive shop that has nitrox will have a nitrox analyzer for you to use, but very few have inline CO monitoring on their compressors.

Here's my unpopular opinion. If you travel a lot, the compressors will likely be gas powered and almost guaranteed to not have CO monitoring. You NEED a CO monitor for those. If they're filling nitrox, they'll have one for you to use. If you are filling locally and not travelling often, no point in having either, but certainly not the nitrox analyzer.

@rhwestfall no I haven't bothered to send it back. Since I have CO bump gas and a regulator at the fire department it wasn't worth the cost/hassle

CO, not CO2...

Haha yeah that’s what I meant.

Ok, you make a good case! How often does the CO sensor need to be calibrated.
So if I’m reading right the COOTWO has to be sent out each time you want to calibrate it?

CO sensor in the CoTwo needs a yearly calibration for the device to not "brick", and they state 2 years life on the sensor.

Also, none of the popular competitors require a factory calibration and resources so why them?
They aren't calibrated after manufacture at all. Which isnt really a big deal since whether its 12 or 120 or 1200 is kind of irrelevant. Any detected CO is a "fail" on a portable meter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom