looking for camera with immediate focus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJoy65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My camera has a 4-5 second delay, if not longer, before it focuses and actually takes the picture. I've just discovered through talking to others that use the same type of camera that I do. This delay leads to some less than desirable shots since the photographer and the subject are both moving.

Can anyone recommend an "affordable" camera ($200-300 +/-) that has an immediate focus and people have gotten good results with? I'm a new underwater photographer so I'm really looking for the front-end camera - perhaps a point and shoot.

Thanks for any recommendations.
Joy

First the bad news, there is no such thing as immediate focus and picture taking, the camera needs to evaluate the scene and capture it......

If you use an automatic setting, the camera needs to pick an aperture and shutter speed, then focus and then take the picture......

Now some camera's a better than others in this regard, I own a Canon G9 and it seems to be quicker than the Olympus P&S I first had, but it is a much more expensive camera........

If you want true quickness in this area, you need to move to a DSLR......but that is much more money (Camera, housing, lenses) than a P&S camera.......

Now for P&S shooting, I might be wrong but my experience seems to support it, I believe that if you set your camera to manual then you set the aperture and shutter speed so the camera just needs to focus and shoot........so it is quicker.......

But it takes a lot of experience to shoot in manual, it takes me a number of tries to get a good shot, if I get it at all........fish seem don't understand the whole photo shoot concept.......they just swim off, they don't understand the whole face the camera thing......:)

You asked a great question, and I will be very interested in the other responses......

Hope this helps.......M

P.S. - Sealife does have a "shark mode" but have never used it, so I can't comment.

SeaLife Cameras - NEW DC500 5 megapixel Underwater Digital Camera

I have an Olympus 8080 with a similar issue.
One option I have is to set it in fultime autofocus, in this mode it contiuously tracks the focusing distance thus vastly reducing the time before it takes the picture. A side effect is battery life is dreadfull so I only switch it on when I am preparing to take photo's of moving subjects.
Your camera may have a similar option.
The 8080 focuses much faster in bright light, I think small aperture means depth of field is increased so focusing is less precise and quicker but that is just a guess. A focusing light would help in this case.

I agree with Jorgy, a DSLR is the way to go but oh so expensive and bulky.

"Never trust a man, who when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly :D

How old is your camera? I've hae 5 digital cameras and with each, the time it takes each to "do it's thing" before triggering the shutter has significantly lessened with while shotting in full auto. My current UW camera is also a G9 which is remarkably fast but still nothing compared to my DSLR that I use for land shoting. However, the G9 is above the price range you specified and most likely will be intimidating to a beginner but something anyone can grow into. As a beginner, having a slow response is going to be part of your growing pains until you learn how to shoot in manual mode. Having a modern camera will help as well as having one in the $300-$500 price range. Outside of that, you really cannot have big expectations.

Interesting thread. Couple of quick comments. First, you want to be very careful about using continuous auto focus. If there are particles in the water the camera may never focus properly.

Second, I primarily shoot with a Nikon D300, but my P&S (Casio) fires off almost instantaneously. The only time there is a significant delay is if I am in some type of program mode. If you are shooting in a program mode, try switching to standard.

Good Luck!

Dan

take a look at the new panasonic lumix p and s'es.
they come with a new feature called continuous focus. in this mode the lens if continually focusing on a small box in the middle of the viewfield. no need to press the shutter button halfway. this is a boon to u/w photography and its a technology that we will see in all p and s in the future.
the lumix also comes with a great leica lens with a wide angle(28mm)
these two features makes the new lumixes my top choice when i upgrade my camera some time this year.
the only thing holding back this camera is the relative rarity f its underwater housing. but it does have one.

oh and they are exceptional value at 150 to 250 dollars depending on model of course

continuous focus. in this mode the lens if continually focusing on a small box in the middle of the viewfield. no need to press the shutter button halfway. this is a boon to u/w photography and its a technology that we will see in all p and s in the future.

I wonder about
a) battery life and
b) sometimes I don't WANT it to keep focusing, middle or elsewhere. I want to focus then recompose maybe.
i'm a big believer in choosing my own settings and while continuous focus has its uses, I don't see it as the be all end all.

I can't imagine trying to shoot with continuous focus an eel or something through a curtain of fish where you need to stop focus on the eel and then wait for the fish who are crazily swimming between the eel and your lens to get the heck out of the way - wouldn't the camera catch on the fish on and off? Unless it has special modes like my DSLR so you can tell it to ignore certain things (which it won't have as a compact).
But interesting concept and useful for some things as long as you can turn it off.

One way to help work with the gear you have now is to learn and master the half press. Using the half press method will significantly decrease your delay in getting the shot as the camera is ready to go - focus is set, aperture & shutter are set - when your subject moves into the frame where you want it.

Some cameras are simply pigs when it comes to grabbing the shot when you want it. The newest models have mostly addressed this and are better than even two generations ago (about a year in camera life), so it may be time to change gear. But in the meantime, try the half press :wink:

true alcina.
im sure the battery life would go with the feature and you will have to switch off your cam every now and then.
but take a look at the requirements and needs of the OP. also most p and s nowadays do a good job with their auto focus settings, which will do for most hobbyists.
of course the end all would really be using manual control but this takes time and practice and lotsa dives, something i dont have on my hands and hence i usually stick with autofocus (sometimes with manual white balance and exposure compensation) and im happy with my pictures ( i use strobes too)

i agree with the half press. focus on something thats about an equal distance to your subject and if possible with similar lighting conditions; and keep that finger there. thats what i try to do for some fish shots. it doesnt work all the time though.

just my 2 cents :)

oh and one more thing. i believe the lumix can shoot video in HD and you can zoom in and out while doing so
:)

Back
Top Bottom