Looking for clear glue to fasten lenses to my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am tired of losing those diveoptix inserts I use as gauge readers. Somebody suggested that I glue them to the outside of my mask. The glue needs to be clear, not attack the material the diveoptix lens is made out of but have a good bond underwater. I don't really think that pressures at depth will be a problem.

Would clear silicone glue work? Again, I'm looking to glue the lenses to the OUTSIDE of my mask. Any ideas?

I used a little dab of silicone caulk on the edge of mine but installed on the inside. There are optical adhesives but do not know if they will stand up to water on the outside.
These are similar to the Diveoptix but a little smaller. The price is right though.
Stick-On Magnifying Lenses - Lee Valley Tools

Google optical cements. There are many different types and most if not all are waterproof.

Thanks! Those stick-on magnifying lenses look like just the ticket AND they're about half the cost of the diveoptix lenses. If they're only a little smaller that the diveoptix lenses they'll certainly be worth the money. Did the silicone calk bother your eyes any? I thought about trying it but was concerned about the proximity of the calk to my eyes.

I'll also try the optical cement. I have seen a couple of "custom" masks that had the lenses on the outside.

I am tired of losing those diveoptix inserts I use as gauge readers. Somebody suggested that I glue them to the outside of my mask. The glue needs to be clear, not attack the material the diveoptix lens is made out of but have a good bond underwater. I don't really think that pressures at depth will be a problem.

Would clear silicone glue work? Again, I'm looking to glue the lenses to the OUTSIDE of my mask. Any ideas?

I know it's not the question you asked, but after getting fed up with the
stick-on's not sticking-on, I tried the XS-Scuba guage-reader mask.
XS Scuba Fusion 2 gauge Reader Mask, #MA280 from LeisurePro.com
I'm quite happy with it.

Notice it says "ships free". If you call Leisurepro for a price, you might
find, as I did, that it won't cost much more than the magnifying lenses and glue,
and you get a nice mask thrown in, too. And no DIY work.

Only comes in +1.75, so it won't please everyone, but I like mine a lot.

I have used Loctite Hysol Adhesive E-05CL ultra clear epoxy to glue dive light lenses. It might work.

Never wanting to interfere with a man and his gluing, but, I have had a great deal of luck with these masks:

Masks : Wintech Snorkeling

Prices are less than I have seen anywhere else for gauge-readers

Just curious here, but after reading up a little on optics such as on the HydroOptix site you might want to check the function of lenses placed on the outside of your mask. Holding a magnifying glass underwater, for example, it becomes invisible.

D.C.C.

Loctite makes an optically clear adhesive that is on the public market (Home Depot, Walmart, etc) It is called - oddly enough - Instant Glass Glue!

OK, I know this is an old thread, but I'm sure those new to ScubaBoard might have the same question.

I have a very strong myoptic correction so I can't go with a lens reader mask.
I don't want to buy new bifocal lenses for my current mask - distance works great and they are EXPENSIVE
I tried the DiveOptix stick on lenses. Just used one for my left eye (the side my gauges are on). With the cocavity of the my lenses I couldn't get them to stick, even following all the advice from multiple sources.
I glued in the DiveOptix lens with Loctite's Instant Glass Glue. Worked great until I soaked my mask after a pool dive
I bought a lens reader "Magni View" with UV curing glue ($29). The lens is convex/flat. It is to be mounted on the INSIDE of the mask with the flat part touching the mask glass. This works great! But:

1. With the concave curve of my prescription I had to mount it backwards (concave to convex). I bought the 3 diaopter because it matched the convex inside surface of my mask better. Not perfect mind you, just better. I filled the space with extra glue (find out how much first using drops of water). I ended up with some small bubbles between the pieces. In the water the bubbles are invisible.

2. You lose a significant level of correction if the lens is glued to the outside of you mask. Probably need 3x the optical strength that way. Believe me I considered it and experimented with cheap lenses. I considered using the lens from a cheap pair of reading glasses. They are made from plastic. The glass lens with the Magni View is more scratch resistant.

3. The round lens took up too much of my overall left eye viewing area so I mounted the round magnifier lens partly below and to the center of the left mask lens. Looks funny, but works great.

A very good buy for $29.

Back
Top Bottom