Looking for Conditions at Folly Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b2kat

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Our Dive Club is planning a trip to Folly Cove and there is a lot of conflicting information on the current state of the site.

Folly Cove used to be a high tide dive due mainly to the rocky entrance. However, last year a few members noticed the rocks were swept out to sea and it was a much easier entrance and could be dived at almost any tide level.

Granted High Tide is still preferable, but has anyone seen the site at low tide and is it still worth suiting up and diving?

Also if anyone has anyone been out to Folly Cove this year and can you comment on any other aspects of the dive that would be a huge help as well. We know parking will require a logistics planning.

Thanks!

The rocks are still largely burried/gone. But it is still a high tide preference dive. At high tide depth increases pretty quickly on the walk in. At low tide it seems like you can walk forever and still only be knee deep. Parking is worse than ever. Last weekend they weren't even ticketing, they were towing.

I agree with Steve, it is definitely preferable to dive it at or close to high tide but I have dove it at both high and low tide and it remains one of my favorite sites on Cape Ann.

Regarding parking, as a resident I do get annoyed when I see non residents taking a parking space especially at a site where there is so little parking. I haven't but I do know of people that will call in cars that do not have a sticker so I would be weary about parking there. There is a a street where you can park a short walk up the road from Folly Cove (however, I forget the street name)

Last weekend they weren't even ticketing, they were towing.
At the level that fines were(20-30$) I am not surprised. I've quite often witnessed comments: "it is like paying for parking".
I hope the parking along the main road, next to that seafood place and further by the 90 degree turn is still OK?

How was the vis and temp last weekend?
rgrds
tomek

I agree with Steve, it is definitely preferable to dive it at or close to high tide but I have dove it at both high and low tide and it remains one of my favorite sites on Cape Ann.

Regarding parking, as a resident I do get annoyed when I see non residents taking a parking space especially at a site where there is so little parking. I haven't but I do know of people that will call in cars that do not have a sticker so I would be weary about parking there. There is a a street where you can park a short walk up the road from Folly Cove (however, I forget the street name)

There is parking on Woodbury Street.

Thanks guys I appreciate the input, we will make sure to park on Woodbury Str.

Fencingfish and I just returned from dusk dive this evening. We had the cove to ourselves when we arrived and dove the left side of the cove. As we surfaced, a trio of divers just entered. We also saw a van with a group of divers. I wonder if it was your dive club??

Vis was typical for this time of year. Great dive. 79 min bottom time, 47 fsw max. We toured up and down the wall, checking out all the little coves and impressive pink granite boulders, nooks, crannies. We didn't go beyond the point so we could mozy on back at our leisure.

At start of dive, came across a school of stipers that followed us throughout the beginning of the dive. Saw a few flounder, a decent size sea raven. We also came across a pretty decent sized Northern Red Anemone which we fed with a sea urchin. My buddy noticed a big lobzilla about to take a nip at my fin when I was preoccupied with something else was looking at. Always a great dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom