Looking for entry level (but decent) strobe. Suggestions please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been taking UW pictures for about 2 years with my Olympus Sp-350 with the Oly housing PT-030. I have a lot of good pictures in natural light, but mostly crap ones using the flash.
I have a trip planned in January to Mexico and would really like to start bring a strobe along.

My goal is to enhance lighting during day pictures and also be able to take pics on night dives.

So, I would really appreciate your suggestions for an entry level strobe for my camera.

Thanks so much

First of all, what sort of budget are you hoping to keep within?

Can I get anything for around $200? Maybe up to $300

Thanks

Yes in theory you can however you may be sacraficing some quality and function to get there. Just to give you an idea, take a look at this link which shows you what B&H Photo & Video sells. I know that you are in California so you might want to call on H2O Photo Pros (I know they are on here somewhere). As you can see, it is possible to get around your budget but you may get a smaller and less intense "flash", you may get a slower charge time for how long it needs between flash cycles, you may get fewer controls........Call on or visit one of the Underwater guys and I bet they will be able to tell you all about all of your options. Reef Photo is another and they are in Florida (I believe).

Thanks. I will take a look.
I once don't mind buying something used or refurbished. And like I said I am looking for an entry level, not a pro quality.

Thanks

Intova PX21 comes with strobe, case, tray, flexarm and filters you'll need a fiberoptic cable which is an additional $15-20 but the kit sells for $100-130. It can also be found badged under the Fantasea line as the "Nano" for significantly more $$$.

I have 2 that I use with my Fuji P&S

Attachments

• DSCF1603.jpg
    DSCF1603.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 131
There are several strobe systems available for small point and shoot cameras. The $200-300 budget is quite limited in what you are going to get. Fantasea makes their nano flash which starts at $240 ready to go. The minimum I would suggest going with is the Sea & Sea YS-27, which is going to be more along the lines of nearing $500 with arm and cable.

As you will see on the forums here, the favorite among digital point and shoot shooters is the Inon D2000. One thing you really want to understand is your strobe system is an investment that will go with you as you change cameras. If you start with a solid strobe and components, it will last you years to come.

Thanks. I will take a look.
I once don't mind buying something used or refurbished. And like I said I am looking for an entry level, not a pro quality.

Thanks

You can post a WTB thread on here and list that you are looking for a new or used strobe package for X dollars to go with your camera set-up. That way if anyone is looking to upgrade, they may sell their current to you. From there, I would still talk to the photo guys (H2O, Reef and B&H) as they will be able to walk through all your options. You not only have to look at the strobe but also how it is controlled by your camera.

Edit.....looks like Mike form H2O beat me to the punch :D

Inon D2000 or Sea & Sea YS-110.....look for a 2nd hand one in good shape...I got a couple but was thinking of selling it as a package with my DX-1G.... look around. They are good strobes and will last you into your next camera upgrade

As you will see on the forums here, the favorite among digital point and shoot shooters is the Inon D2000. One thing you really want to understand is your strobe system is an investment that will go with you as you change cameras.

That's a good thought. Makes sense.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom